[15] Whipped Cream Bra

Jack storms out of the room, mumbling something about needing fresh air.

"Uh, yeah." I grab one of my long-sleeved sweatshirts and toss it to Max, "Here you go."

He nods in thanks and runs back off to the bathroom.

I collapse dramatically on my bed.

That was interesting.

I lay there for a few moments, regretting all of my life decisions as I fiddle with the edge of my bed sheets. I soon get restless and groan loudly, sitting up and running a hand through my hair anxiously.

There are so many mysteries in the world, why did Jack Summers have to be another one? He falls-- literally --into my life and brings his teenage angst with him, then disappears for practically the entire summer!

I never saw him in school or anywhere for that matter until the start of the summer so that means he moved here... but then he disappears for months. Isn't the whole point of moving to not have to disappear? You move so you can still in that place? Ugh, it makes no sense.

Jack makes no sense.

He is a living, breathing contradiction.

How is he two things at once?

How can he be so hostile yet affectionate?

How can he be so sensitive yet closed off?

He is a living, breathing Katy Perry song.

He's hot then he's cold, he's yes then he's no...

I try to shake the image of Jack in a Katy Perry music video, specifically the one with the bras that shoot out whipped cream.

Anyway, I should probably get dressed.

I slide into my joggers and tee shirt hurriedly, not wanting Jack to trap Max into a corner somewhere and harass him further.

I stumble down the staircase and into the front of the cafe where Max and Jack are already sitting not at a booth but at a table-- thank god. My crotch doesn't need any more provoking from Jack today.

They notice me as I approach the table and Jack jokes, "The service here sucks," loudly to Max, slumping in his seat.

He rolls his eyes dramatically, giving me some side eye and groaning, "We've been waiting forever."

It's supposed to be a joke but I can't help but feel like Jack is actually annoyed with me. Why is he? He's obviously bothered by something I did.

That shouldn't bother me; it's what I wanted, right? Isn't pushing Jack away the whole goal of trying to be friendly? The whole purpose of pushing us together?

This should be a victory.

It should feel like it is. But it doesn't. And that bothers the hell out of me. It bothers the hell out of me that I feel no relief whatsoever. That I actually feel more stressed out than when we were on good terms and Jack was ruining everything good in my life.

I need to take deep breaths. I probably have waves of anxiety rolling off of me, filling the room. I don't look as bad as Max, though. He looks...

Max looks confused.

His facial expression is most likely due to the fact that he was never informed that I have a special connection to this place. It's kind of weird explaining to Max that my family owns the cafe and that's why I live in the apartment above it. I thought it was kind of obvious, but I've noticed that Max can be a little daft. So I'm not super thrilled that this is the spot chosen for our meet up with Max. There are some advantages to it, though. I'm in my territory, where I feel comfortable and confident in myself.

Although Jack has changed that for me. Not changed- ruined.

I should just be glad I don't have to sit next to Jack like at lunch. That was rough. Even thinking about how his strong hand gripped my thigh is messing with my pulse.

...and blood flow to my uh-

Uh oh.

No. Bad little Spencer. Stop it. Don't do this dude. Not now. This is literally the worst time for you to act up.

I clear my throat and yank down my shirt as far as I can over my crotch. "Sorry about the wait. What can I get you guys to drink?" I ask, only a tiny bit of sarcasm seeping into my apologetic voice.

Max, looking down at his plastic menu, decides, "I'll get a hot chocolate."

I hum and nod with approval. "Ooh good choice," I tell him. I'm proud of his order choice but I also want to affirm the amazing confidence he's been showing. He didn't stutter or get super red in the face while talking!

I nod my head in Jack's direction, waiting for him to tell me his order.

Jack scratches the back of his head and avoids eye contact, "Uh... can I get one too?" he asks nervously.

He says it so quietly that I can barely hear him.

I lean in. "What was that again?"

"Can I get one too?" he repeats, still in a timid and somewhat shaky voice.

"Sorry, what?"

"I want hot chocolate!" he practically yells this time. It's like he burst. Exploded. Over hot chocolate.

The situation is so funny that Max snorts loudly, surprising everyone, including himself.

Jack's fury simmers down momentarily from the action, he is turning to Max with the slightest hint of a smile instead of a sneer.

When Max is obviously made uncomfortable and flustered by this sort of attention and reaction from 'Mr. Cool One', Jack quickly corrects himself in his seat and turns to me.

"May I please have a hot chocolate as well?" he asks again, but politely and in a lower volume.

"Of course," I chuckle a little bit.

Then I do a double take.

I squint my eyes suspiciously.

"You sure you don't want your regular?"

-----

AN:

How is Jack going to respond/react to the question?

I hope I tied up some loose ends concerning Jack a wee lil bit by mentioning his disappearance - that will have a large part later in the plot.

Short chapter + awkward ending = I had a chapter title for the other part of this then wanted to also use whipped cream bra as a chapter title so I decided to do both.

Thank you so much for the overwhelming amount of support I've gotten so far, love you all and thanks for 1,000 reads!

Love,

Leah