McGonagall's Solution

Harry and Draco had managed not speaking to each other for almost two weeks. Even in Potions class, the only communication they had was pointing the ingredients they needed and scoffing at the other's idiocy.

It was the morning of the Hufflepuff versus Ravenclaw Quidditch match and Harry was looking forward to being able to switch off from class work, from his own thoughts, from Draco.

He sat at the Gryffindor table but made no effort to eat, he talked with his friends as they decided who they were going to root for.

What was unexpected, was the letter that landed on his empty plate.

"McGonagall again?" Asked Ron with his mouth stuffed with toast. Harry nodded, tearing open the envelope.

Mr Potter,

I ask you to attend a meeting in my office when breakfast ends. Do not go to the Quidditch stadium.

McGonagall.

"Hey, that's not fair!" Said Ron after reading the note over his friend's shoulder.

"Hopefully I'll be able to catch some of the game," Harry shrugged.

"Well, I'll update you on everything when you come down," Ron patted him on the back reassuringly.

"You need to eat something," said Hermione, clearly listening to their conversation. "Please."

"I'm not hungry," Harry replied, picking up a piece of toast and tearing off a piece to nibble on.

"That's not up to you," Hermione shook her head. "I don't want to baby you Harry but you're acting like a child."

Harry didn't know what to say to that, there was truth in her words, but it wasn't the truth he wanted to hear. He finished the piece of buttered toast in his hand and under Hermione's stern gaze, he ate another.

He sat grumpily as the rest of the school filed out of the hall toward the school grounds. The food and plates had disappeared off the tables and Harry fiddled with the piece of parchment in front of him as he waited for everyone to leave.

The walk to the Headmistress' office was long and solemn. All Harry could think about was the game he was missing and how he hoped the meeting would not take too long, so he could be able to watch at least some of the game.

"Dumbledore," said Harry as he approached the gargoyle guarding the office.

"Two of you in one morning? It's too early for this," said the gargoyle. Before Harry could even rebut about how the Gargoyle sleeps all day anyway he was too caught up in what it had actually said. Two of you?

He walked up the stairs and into the office and his stomach dropped. There were two chairs facing McGonagall's desk. Malfoy's blond head turns to look at him with a scowl.

"Potter, sit," McGonagall ordered. Harry did not hesitate in taking a seat in the cream armchair, it wasn't very comfortable, the line layer of upholstery seemed to be stretched over a wooden frame with the bare minimum of padding. "Would you like to explain yourselves?"

Neither of them said anything. Harry avoided her gaze and looked out the large window. He realised that from the tower he could see the Quidditch pitch in the distance.

"Why I haven't received notes of any meeting between the two of you?" She asked. Neither of the boys spoke up, not daring to meet the headmistress' cold stare. "Mr Malfoy?"

"Because we haven't," Draco murmured.

"Haven't what?" McGonagall leans forward in mock interest.