Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans

Harry walked at an incredibly fast pace against the tide of students with his fists balled up by his sides. No one dared stand in his way as his scowl parted the crowd like the red sea.

He was on his way to the Hospital Wing without a thought for breakfast. When he woke up barely half an hour earlier he noticed that Malfoy was not still sleeping soundly in his bed, nor was he sitting in one of the plush armchairs of the common room, Harry knew there was only one place he could be.

From the few weeks he had been sharing a dormitory with the Slytherin, Harry knew that Draco was not a morning person and would never leave the common room without looking presentable. He had also not seen the boy go to bed. In fact, he had not seen him since Ron caught the two of them on the Quidditch field. Ron was not happy with him, nor was Hermione for that matter. After a long and tiring argument, Harry and Ron went to bed without making up and Harry fell asleep trying to think of ways to make it up to him.

Harry pushed open the doors to the Hospital wing and immediately spotted the only bed which was inhabited.

Draco Malfoy was lying deathly pale (er than usual). He was nowhere near as disfigured as the last time he was here, perhaps he had even defended himself.

"I swear to god," Harry growled. Malfoy opened one eye and looked at his visitor. He rolled his eyes and closed it again. "Those little shits will be sorry."

"Oh, cool it, Potter," Malfoy sighed in a tired whisper. "Or would it kill you to not save the day for once?"

Harry didn't acknowledge his comment. He was too busy thinking up ways to get back at the horrid students. Malfoy sensed this and opened his eye again.

"Go to breakfast. Eat, I know you haven't yet."

"I-"

"Go Potter, or I'll get Madame Pomfrey to escort you out."

Harry pouted and shoved his hands into the pockets of his robes before making his way down to the Great Hall.

He wasn't sure why he was obeying Malfoy's words so easily. His first thought was that Malfoy had imperised him without his knowledge.

He sat next to Hermione at breakfast who had Ron on her other side. She looked between them silently and groaned. Harry knew she was annoyed at him, but more annoyed at the fact that he and Ron were fighting. He elected to ignore her however, grabbing some toast and a goblet of Orange Juice.

It was clear that Hermione was also angry at him for abandoning their free period of study. When Ron had dragged him by the back of his robes all the way to the Eighth Year common room she had lectured him about the importance of their N.E.W.Ts and how abandoning his friends was a dick move. Harry had listened to her words his head hung low. Ron, who was standing beside her, was intent to make this all about Malfoy. He yelled at him, exclaiming that the Serpent was getting inside his head, feigning the act of the innocent before taking advantage of Harry.

Harry never once argued. The bell soon rang for the final class of the day and the three of them packed their things for Charms.

Today was Saturday and a Hogsmeade visit day. Harry did not want to go with Ron when he was acting so childish, but Hermione insisted and the two gave in. Harry was now hoping to slip away from them at some point to hunt down the malignant Gryffindors who decided that they themselves would punish Malfoy for his crimes.

What they didn't understand, and Harry didn't either until recently, was that Malfoy had already paid so heavily for his crimes, both those that were placed upon him and those he made of a conscious decision. He had paid in the separation from his father and the house arrest of his mother. But he had also paid with the emotional toll of the horror he had experienced under the influence of Lord Voldemort.