Goodbye Hogwarts

Harry's eyes flickered open and he glanced around the dorm room as he would do for the very last time.

Last night was the End of Term feast, Gryffindor was crowned the victors of the House Cup and they were sure to celebrate it in traditional Gryffindor fashion.

Today, however, as most students lazily packed their suitcases and spent the day lounging around the common rooms, it was graduation day for the seventh and eighth years.

Harry pushed himself up into a sitting position and fumbled for his glasses on the bedside table. Around the room, the other boys were stirring, most refusing to come to terms with the reality of getting out of bed.

However, the opportunity for the first shower was something Harry was not going to lose. He grabbed his robes and towel before heading into the en-suite sleepily.

As he opened the heavy wooden door, the sound of water rushing from a shower head startled him for a second before he realised that it was coming from behind a locked shower door.

The Slytherin robes draped over a chair by the vanity gave away the identity of the early riser but it wouldn't have been hard to guess anyway.

"Good morning, Malfoy," Harry smiled to himself.

"Did I forget to lock the door?" Malfoy sighed. "Morning, Potter."

Harry laughed to himself as he slipped into the other shower stall, hanging his robes and towel on the hook on the door before reaching over to turn the water on.

+ + +

Harry stepped out of the shower cubicle with just his grey pants and white shirt on, the rest of his outfit was thrown over his shoulder ungracefully, nothing an ironing charm couldn't fix.

Draco was bent over a porcelain sink, toothbrush hanging lazily from his mouth as he fussed over his hair. He had his shirt on, unbuttoned of course in dramatic Malfoy style. His black belt had been laced through the belt loops of his pants but had not been fastened.

Harry rolled his eyes and met him at the sink beside him. "So how are you feeling, graduating in a few hours?"

He takes the toothbrush out of his mouth and uses a towel to dab the corner of his mouth. "Daunting, exhilarating."

"You'll see your mother," said Harry. "How are you feeling about that?"

"She'll be happy to see me, and I, her. She's disappointed that I never returned for the holidays."

"She's proud of you. I'm sure of it." Harry pulled the red and gold tie around his neck and began tieing it for the very last time.

"I'm sure you don't actually want to talk about my mother," Draco sighed "I'm sorry that you don't have anyone today."

"Oh, I have the Weasleys," Harry forced a smile as he straightened his collar. "They'll always be looking out for me."

"I see."

The ensuite door swung open, disrupting their conversation with the sleepy presence of Ernie, Neville and Ron.

"Oh good, you're not having sex," Ernie smiled appreciatively.

+ + +

Harry sat on the wooden bench in between Parvati Patil and Annie Price, watching over his shoulder as parents and family of the seventh and eighth-year students settle into the rows of seats behind them.

He glanced down the row to see Ron and Ginny arguing quietly over something at one end, and at the other Hermione waiting patiently for the ceremony to start.