Chapter 18 - Oh... crap.

Lucy's POV

"Right," David says as all twelve of us stand around on the outskirts of the forest. "So, are we all understood on what's going to happen?"

Everyone murmurs a quick 'yes' in a reply. The atmosphere around our little group is very tense, as we're all poised and ready for whatever might happen tonight. If there's one thing we all know then it's this: tonight isn't going to be easy.

The way that the three groups have worked out is like this: David, Wayne, Wendy and Sam make one group and Helen, Max, John and Jack make another. This obviously then leaves me, Justin, Dean and Ricky to make the last. Fantastic.

For the first part of the journey we'll all be running together as there's no point in splitting up right away. However, as soon as we find a suitable place to ditch our clothes off at, we all part ways. My group will be going in from the direction of Beck's, whilst the other two groups will be coming in from other angles so we form a sort of triangle formation. The hope is that, if the rogues notice us on their land, then they'll split up so we don't have to face all of them at once. Of course, there's always the chance that that plan will fail completely, and then we'll be in big trouble.

"Okay, let's get going," David then orders, glancing over at Wendy and giving her a quick strained smile. And that one smile sums up everything that's going on right now; nobody knows how this is going to go down, and that's a seriously worrying thought.

"Hey," Justin says, making me pause as I'm about to follow Wendy and Helen out of sight to change.

"Yeah?" I ask, vaguely aware of Dean watching us.

"I want you to promise me something," he replies, and I just stare at him in confusion as I wait for an elaboration. "If we run into trouble today, I want you to stay out of it," he continues, and I instantly frown in annoyance.

Great, that's just fantastic. What a way to make it clear that he thinks of me as completely incapable. Call me stupid, but I'd thought that we'd been starting to get slightly past the whole Omega thing (at least for now anyway), but I guess I was just being naïve. I know that I'm not the best fighter, but I also know that I have my dad's blood still running through my veins, so I'm perfectly able to look after myself. Hell, I've been doing it in these woods for the past seven years, haven't I?

Rolling my eyes, I go to walk away, but he grabs my arm to stop me. Huh, we seem to be making a habit out of these sorts of situations.

"I'm serious, Luce. If we run into any of these rogues, which is going to be pretty inevitable, then I want you to run, or hide, or just... stay out of the way. And don't say you can't do it, I've seen you run, I know you can."

Okay, no way in hell is that going to happen. If these rogues are really connected to the attack on my parents, then I'm not backing out. I can't back out. This is as much my fight as any of these others, if not then more, and I fully intend to embrace it. They're not getting away with what they did; I'll make sure of it.

"Lucy. Promise me?" he asks again.

"Sure, whatever," I lie through my teeth before walking away to join Wendy and Helen.

I can't believe that Justin actually has that little faith in me after everything. I mean, I know that I wasn't the most composed when we left Beck's yesterday, but I didn't completely lose it, which has to count for something, right?

I quickly kick my converse off and stuff my odd socks inside them. Next, my checked shirt joins them, along with my jeans, and then I'm good to go. The other two both wait for me to phase, as I obviously take a bit longer due to arriving slightly later, and then we all pick up our clothes in our mouths and head back to the others.