CHAPTER TWO

Conor held the Strawberry Lemonade in front of Jessica for her to take a sip.

"Remember Jessica, to win this fight, you must be like the Strawberry Lemonade," Conor whispered in her ear.

She nodded. Her opponent was stronger, but Jessica was smarter. She knew how to parry her opponent's roundhouse kicks, how to dodge a perpendicular elbow or a straight jab uppercut, how to be fluid like the Strawberry Lemonade swirling around in the cup.

The Strawberry Lemonade was integral to Conor's training methods. He had Jessica balance one on her head to perfect her stance. She used the beverage cups as sparring gloves to toughen her punches. She even jumped rope while Conor threw strawberries and lemons at her to teach her how to properly avoid attacks.

Although it might seem odd that Conor used a Wendy's Strawberry Lemonade as a metaphorical teaching tool for muay thai, it was effective. It also signified a special bond between Conor and Jessica.

The day she was dumped by Billy, Jessica went to Wendy's for lunch. When she tried to get ice from the soda fountain, she accidentally dropped her cup and, in a fit of rage, began kicking a trash can repeatedly. Conor saw her pure, raw, unadulterated talent and offered her two things: the first, training in the ancient art of muay thai. The second, was a Strawberry Lemonade.