CHAPTER THREE

Seven months and several gallons of Strawberry Lemonade later, Jessica found herself sparring against Adriana de la Garza, the toughest muay thai strawweight fighter in the last 15 years. Thirty matches, 27 wins, 14 of them by knockout. Her fans dubbed her the Green Momba (because not only was she a vicious fighter, but she was also a mother of two).

And after three rounds, Jessica had held her own, bobbing and weaving, avoiding a good number of the Momba's blows, landing some punches and kicks of her own. Yet the Momba was still decidedly in control. Jessica was going to need to land some heavy hits to take her down.

"Just like the Strawberry Lemonade," Conor repeated. "One part sweet, one part sour. Completely balanced. Offense and defense coming together in perfect harmony."

Jessica took another sip. The sweetness of the strawberry mixed perfectly with the tartness of the lemon, the two flavors complementing each other well. She knew she was going to have to do the same with her fighting style -- for every kick and punch she threw, she'd have to block or dodge one.

She opened her eyes and looked over at the Momba, who was staring right at her, smirking, like she knew a secret. A secret that Jessica had hid for years -- a secret that was about to be unleashed into the world, wreaking havoc in its wake, like a Wendy's beverage spilling onto a white rug. Jessica breathed in deep. The bell rang, signaling the start of the fourth round.