Chapter 28

As always, your votes and comments are what I'm living for! :)

"Merlin," Tom spoke to the gargoyle statue standing before him. The statue leapt aside, allowing Tom to climb the stone steps leading to the Headmaster's study. Tom had sent word to Professor Dippet earlier that day requesting to speak with him. Professor Dippet had responded almost instantly with the time for their meeting and the password to his office.

Tom had been the first to finish the Defense against the Dark Arts practical exam, and had headed straight to the third floor from The Great Hall. It had been his last N.E.W.T. exam, signaling the end of his education at Hogwarts. However, maybe it didn't mean the end of his time here entirely.

He had been anticipating this meeting for months, choosing his timing carefully. He had reckoned his best chances would be after exams were finished. When he had officially finished his schooling. Then, and only then, would he ask the question he had longed to ask ever since he had overheard Professor Merrythought's retirement at the end of term. If Tom had anything to do with it, the Defense against the Dark Arts job would be his. He would stay on at Hogwarts as a professor, and he would teach Defense against the Dark Arts ... the way it ought to be taught.

Tom climbed the spiral staircase, rapping against the large oak door at the top of the stone steps. The door creaked open revealing a large rectangular room, portraits of past headmasters adorning the walls. Professor Dippet, who had been sitting behind his desk, stood as Tom entered.

"Tom, my boy," Professor Dippet smiled motioning for Tom to come in.

"Headmaster," Tom greeted, taking a seat in one of the cushy armchairs sitting before the Headmaster's desk.

"I trust your exams went well?" Professor Dippet inquired, seating himself back behind his desk.

"Yes sir, I believe I've done quite well," Tom answered. "Though, I suppose we'll see in a few weeks when we receive our results."

"I'm sure you've done brilliantly. What was it you received your fifth year? Five outstanding O.W.L.S.?"

"Yes sir," Tom feigned a modest smile.

"Yes, well one wouldn't expect anything less from Tom Riddle, would they?" Professor Dippet grinned. "Now, on to more important matters. You said you wanted to speak with me about something?"

"Yes sir," Tom nodded. "Word has been going around sir that Professor Merrythought will be retiring at the end of term. Is that true?"

"Who on Earth did you hear that from my boy?" Professor Dippet asked, looking taken aback by Tom's knowledge of the subject. "Yes well, I suppose there's no harm in telling you now, with the feast only in mere days. Professor Merrythought will indeed be retiring at the end of term."