TWENTY-FOUR

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
( ONE HELL OF A DAY )

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR( ONE HELL OF A DAY )

SCHOOL WAS HELL. IT was known fact by nearly everyone in the world. It was hell and always would be; the teachers who gave copious amounts of homework not thinking of the other classes, the projects, the waking up early, the drama, the crowded hallways, the bullies – everything about school was hell. Sure, anyone can add in the days where they laughed endlessly with their friends or watched movies in class instead of work, but still. School wasn't fun. But then add in the fact that the giant lizard from the former week was attacking the school because it thought Spider-Man was there? Well, it certainly made for one hell of a day.

The day had started out normal. Nick woke up, got to school, talked to his friends at his locker before class – this time including Olivia, Peter and Ned, Harry and Gwen somewhere else. Flash asked for an answer to a question or two for their Science homework between second period and third period in the hallway, and Nick gave the answers willingly. He avoided Frank successfully, too. First period went smoothly, though Nick nearly fell asleep. Second period was terrible; the teacher gave a pop quiz, and the entire class tried to talk the teacher out of it, but it was no luck. Third period was fine, and so was fourth. Things didn't start happening until lunch.

Peter and Nick were in the lunch line, the former telling the latter the truth of why he wasn't a school the day before. The entirety of Sunday night Peter had went into the sewers again to look for the lizard, but instead found a dry, elevated spot with a computer or two and notebooks that had information on reptiles and cold blooded mammals and on any creature who had the ability to grow parts of their body back. The handwriting had looked familiar to Peter, but before he could snoop anymore said the giant lizard attacked, crushing his phone in the process and losing his backpack again, but this time in the sewer water. Though, he made sure to assure Nick that he was okay despite the scratch he had gotten on his side and the hurt ankle; he healed fast, anyway.

"–and here's the weird thing," Peter said as they walked away from the lunch line, already having paid for their food, a confused but thoughtful expression on his face. "He – it – had the upper hand, but- but it stopped. Out of no where, too. Like it just stopped, like- like he froze for a second and then ran away. It was really freakin' weird."

Nick made a face. He didn't really like the sound of Peter putting himself in danger like that, but then again he had no choice over the matter, really; just like he had no choice over his uncle being a cop. "That is weird," he said. "But, you're okay, right?"

Peter nodded, deciding not to say anything about the lizard as they got to the lunch table where their friends sat. "Yeah, I'm fine. Definitely better than yesterday."

"Dude, you looked like shit," Ned said as the two sat down.

The conversation continued from there, the group of five laughing at different things. Though, that didn't last long. Their laughter about vines died out as a weird sound echoed through the halls of the school, making everyone quiet down to listen to the odd sound. Peter slowly sat up straighter and looked towards the cafeteria doors with a look of worry. Screams were heard seconds later that followed a crashing sound, and Peter, along with his friends and everyone else in the lunch room, watched as various students raced passed the doors. A few who had been close to the doors glanced out, only to rush in the lunch room and head for the doors on the other side that lead outside.