Chapter 34: Smoking Gun

I took one file, and the Deputy took the other. I began to analyze. Despite being an android, even this was too thick to move very quickly through it. While I did get finished with my file in about half an hour, it still wasn't as thick as I would like.

"Any interesting details?" The Deputy asked, still looking at his file.

"No real differences. He had no roommate, and the drug needle was still in his arm when they found him."

The Deputy sighed. "I haven't found a smoking gun either," he said, sighing. I moved onto the next file, when suddenly Connor and the Lieutenant walked inside. They sat down and Connor started doing paperwork immediately. The Lieutenant cleared his throat though. Connor looked up.

"Your girlfriend is staring at you," The Lieutenant said calmly.

Girlfriend? Connor has a girlfriend? He didn't tell me has a girlfriend... Wait...more importantly...Connor is a deviant? Connor cocked his head at the Lieutenant.

"I don't have a girlfriend. I'm not a deviant," Connor responded confused.

"Wow," The Lieutenant said placing his head in his hands. "Charlotte. Charlotte is staring at you."

Oh. Oh, that's me. I quickly looked back down at my file.

"Ooooooh," the Deputy said.

Connor stood up and walked over to me. He extended his arm immediately, and I did the same.

Connecting...

"Connor. You didn't shoot her," I said. He had the opportunity to solve the case...but he didn't.

"I couldn't," he answered. "I just couldn't."

"It's okay. I don't think I could either," I answered. As I said that though, a different officer turned up the TV in the station.

"-and we have reports from the US government that despite popular sympathy for the android revolution, they have decided to move forward with the decision to deactivate all androids. This comes after a peaceful protest in Detroit this morning ended in the shooting of 29 androids. Despite being hit, it appears as though the android leader has survived."

The Deputy immediately jumped up. He took his phone out of his picket and made a call quickly.

"Christen. Where is Fiona? It...It doesn't matter. We need to go," He said into the phone. "Jericho? No. I mean like Canada. Like now. What do you mean 'no'?"

The Deputy sighed aloud. The hung up the phone and turned to me. "I have to," he said, leaving the files on his desk and running out of the station. I turned to Connor.

"There isn't much time left," I explained "We have to figure this out."

Connor extended his arm, and shut his eyes. I extended mine as well, in order to connect with him, but nothing happened, until I closed my eyes. I was in the Zen Garden now, which was dark, and the snow was getting heavy now. Except, I turned to my right, and Connor was there with me.

Connor walked over to a small rock which had a blue hand print in it. I've never seen it before. I dont think its even in my zen garden. He touched it, and his LED flashed for a moment. I went to touch it, but it immediately dissapeared. Connor had already started to walk away.

"Connor. It dissapeared," I explained.

"No, it didn't," he said turning around. He looked at the spot where it was. "It's right there. Don't you see it?"

"No," I answered looking in the area.

"It doesn't matter. It's useless," Connor said turning back around. "We have to find Amanda."