Chapter 6 - Assassins

After wandering the road for half a day, just before night time I spotted a village surrounded by woods in the distance.

When I made my way through it I saw an inn near the entrance of the village. Next to the inn seemed to be a large house. Most likely where the leader of he village lives.

Around the village are some smaller houses and sometimes small businesses, almost everything is related to farming and lumbering which tells me that people spend most of their time doing labor.

When I stand outside of the inn I notice that it has four floors and the lobby seems to be quite large.

As I stepped inside the first thing that came to mind was the smell. It smelled like food. The food they cooked here must be very tasty if it smells this amazing. There was a scent of bread combined with meat and stew. It was well cooked and you could also smell faint scents of rice.

I quickly make my way to the reception desk and talk to the lady up front. She had medium length brown hair down to her shoulders and a uniform. She looks up at me as I make my way toward her.

"Hello there ma'am, could I have a room for the night?" I say with the most normal voice I can make while wearing a cloak that makes me seem shady.

"Of course, one room with one bed, are you going to eat here?" She asks me before telling me the price.

The food did smell nice, it might taste just as well.

"Yes please." I answer.

"That would be three silver coins, dinner and breakfast are included with the payment." She explains.

I hand over the silver and she gives me a key with the number 5 written on it.

"Your room will be on the second floor, third room to the right. Have a nice stay." She says as I walk toward the dining area.

When I sit down I call a waiter over and ask what they have for sale.

"We have many different foods but I suggest the special today. It's stone boar steak with a side of soup and bread." He suggests.

Stone boar is one of the easiest monsters to kill and can taste great if cooked correctly. Or so I heard from some soldiers.

"I'll take that, also could you tell me how far the eastern city of the kingdom is from here?" I ask wondering how far I am.

"The eastern city, Kios is two days on foot and one on horse back. If you would like, there is a stable on the other side of the village and you could buy a horse or ask to ride a carriage there."

When I asked him how much it would cost, he said that to buy a horse would cost me fifty silver coins and a carriage would cost me fifteen silver coins.

"I see, I'll see about it." When the waiter goes away and brings the stone boar steak, even before he set it down, I had already started drooling from the smell.

Since I had always lived a poor life, I had never been able to afford good food, even stone boar steak.

When the plate reached me I started gulping it down as if I hadn't eaten in forever. Even the waiter's eyes widened at the spectacle.

When I finished the plate I asked how much it would cost for some more. The waiter said that there is no cost since the payment is received after reception.

Once he answers he runs off to the kitchen to grab another plate.

That night I kept ordering food until I was somewhat full. It's safe to say that if I had to pay for the food, I would have used up more than four gold coins.

When I head to my room I notice everyone had astonished looks on their faces. I can't blame them, even I  was surprised by how much I ate. I have never even had two plates of food before in my life, so I wanted to find out how much I could eat today.

When I lay on my bed I could feel the softness in it. It was cold but soft when touching it and the blanket was warm which made a balanced temperature, and it felt a lot smoother than the rugs that we used back home.

I almost fell asleep when I laid down but suddenly I felt a presence nearby. Although before I wouldn't have been able to do it subconsciously, ever since the incident I have been able to do things I didn't think I would be able to.

The presence seemed normal at first, making its way to my room but it changed as it got closer to a more dangerous one.

"Great, an assassin..." I frowned thinking that I was being targeted.

The assassin walked past my door and actually started heading to the room besides mine. Number 4. Seeing this I couldn't just sit by as someone dies next to me. After all I would be the one that gets blamed. A shady looking person that no one could identify shows up and then during the night the person next door gets murdered. It had the words misunderstanding written all over it.

Since it was night time the hallways were still dark, so I used them to follow the culprit silently. It was a risky move since there was a possibility that the they could sense me but they seemed to not notice me thankfully.

The assassin was dressed in black leather armor that had a hood with a mask attached. The armor was light and flexible, fit for an assassin and the hood covered everything but the eyes.

The assassin picked the lock to the next room and walked inside, I of course follow them in. When I enter the room I notice that there was a person sleeping in the bed. At closer inspection the person turns out to be a beastkin woman.

She had black wolf ears and seemed to be sleeping peacefully in the bed as the assassin approached her.

I can only guess of a few reasons why she would be targeted for assassination but I'll find out why after I do something.

I couldn't think of anyways to deal with this situation without making a ruckus but I then start having another headache.

This is not good. Why now of all times.

When the headache is gone, information about new spells for me are suddenly floating in my head.

When I turn my sights back to the assassin I see them getting ready to kill the woman. I quickly pick one of the new spells and cast it on the killer.

I extend my arm out and a black fog leaks out and moves like a serpent towards them. It then engulfs the assassins head in it as the person starts struggling, almost like he was being choked by a constrictor snake wrapping around his neck. Once he falls to the floor I walk over and notice that they're unconscious.

"That's a relief, and I did it without waking up the woman as well." I turn my head to look at the sleeping woman, only to lock eyes with her.

Yup, she woke up, and now staring back at me we're two beautiful crimson colored eyes.

This is bad

Caught in the dark room of a woman after putting a killer to sleep with very uncommon magic is not good.

Unfortunately, since it was my first time being caught like this I had no idea what I should do.