fifty-five

AMARA

"What the fuck were you thinking!" Harry bellowed at me as he entered the alleyway, grabbing my wrist firmly. I immediately pulled it back, swinging my palm into his cheek, effectively slapping him.

I stepped around him, hurrying back to the hotel. I took the stairs once again, not wanting to be in the same space that my monster of a mother had been in only minutes ago. I took two at a time, Zayn's motionless body flashing through my memory.

Please be okay, Zayn.

My feet froze as I stepped into the hall of our floor, my eyes blurring as I took in the scene. Louis was kneeling beside Zayn's body, his head in his hands. My heart clenched as Zayn's chest remained still, no evidence of him breathing.

"He-he's-"

"He's gone," Louis confirmed, pulling himself back after patting Zayn's shoulder twice. Louis nodded at me, his face emotionless as he pulled me into a hug. I felt a tear run down my cheek as I realised the bullet was meant to hit me, not Zayn.

"It's all my fault," I gasped for air as my eyes stayed on his body, the carpet below him soaked in crimson blood. Louis shook his head, placing both hands on my cheeks.

"It's not your fault. Zayn wouldn't want you to think that, either," he sternly spoke, our heads turning when Harry stepped into the hallway. His body halted when he saw Zayn, like mine had when I got in here. His face fell as his eyes stayed on Zayn, biting his lip roughly. I knew he was biting his lip to stop himself from showing emotion, but I knew better.

"I-uh, I'll arrange for some people to come," Harry stuttered, his hands shaking as he grabbed the phone out of his suit jacket. Louis sighed as we both stared at him, his lip quivering as he spoke into the phone.

"He's trying to distract himself," Louis exhaled, his shoulders slumping as Harry hung up the phone, sending a nod our way. "Harry-"

"People die everyday," Harry mumbled, my mouth dropping as he walked swiftly past Louis and I. He was pushing his emotions away, storing them up, what he always did. Louis and I stayed quiet as he opened the door, disappearing into our hotel room.

"Go talk to him," Louis suggested, my body already walking towards the room he'd hid himself in. My mouth dried as I twisted the doorknob, opening the door slowly. I felt Harry's eyes on me as I walked in, confirming my thoughts when I lifted my eyes to meet his green ones.

"Are you okay?" I almost slapped myself at the question that fell from my lips, Harry's expression remaining neutral. I knew he was hurting by his bunched up fists, one of his cheeks hollowed in as he chewed on it. He thought he was subtle, but I noticed it all. 

"I'm fine," Harry shrugged, his jaw clenching when I looked at him with an accusing look. He was far from fine, Zayn was one of his best friends, one of his only friends. "If I had to chose between each of you to be killed, I'd chose Zayn without hesitation."

"Harry!" I yelled, feeling angry that he was showing no emotion towards the fact that Zayn has just died. He had the nerve to say that, only minutes after Zayn's death.

"What? It's true."

"You're sick," I spat out, the lump in my throat causing my tears to brim at my waterline. I felt a tear fall when Harry nodded in agreement, not even attempting to deny the statement.

"I don't care if wanting you alive at all costs means I'm sick, I'll take that," Harry stood up from his sitting position on the bed, his body towering over mine even from metres away.

"You were going to kill me," I bit my lip harder when he flinched, wanting to crawl into the corner when his face verified the affirmation. His head hung low in disappointment, his fists clenching by his side.