15 - A Little Secret

ALEKSO

     All signs point to the redhead. The loyal, unassuming redhead, who was sent from Aelfort to be my queen's personal, maid must be the traitor. It makes perfect sense. Lord Aelfort was one of the first to die when I became king; he refused to kneel and even spoke about his loyalty to Henry the Usurper before he was beheaded for treason. Lady Aelfort, though, submitted willingly for the sake of her children and married the Earl of Previtzia some years later. I hadn't seen her as a threat. Perhaps I should have.

     I wait patiently for my wife to get home. I am curious what she will bring. When Kwenthrith lied to Eva about me giving them permission to go in to the city, I sent two of my best spies to keep an eye on them. While I believe the rebels do not want Eva dead, I can't be too sure. They came back telling me that Kwenthrith took Edeva to an abandoned medicinal store. They were in there a few minutes, and then left to go shopping. When the spies entered the building , no one was there, and they saw no one leave after waiting several hours. I also found out Eva sought out two guards on patrol and had them follow her around. At least she understands her safety is important now that she isn't sneaking about the city.

     The garden is where I wait, finding an ornate bench with filigree designs on the back, surrounded by the honeysuckle trees Eva seems to love. The sun has set, casting the sky in to a beautiful blue that fades in to a pale orange on the horizon. Goldstone palace is on a high, deep set ledge of the mountain base, and there is no place in the area that does not have a gorgeous view of the city below, or the sky above. There is peace as I watch the stars slowly come out, tiny twinkles of light dotting the darkness above me. It is midsummer now, and fireflies dance about the gardens as if trying to emulate the night sky.

     "Alekso?"

     Kazaxon was silent as we both admired the scenic view, but he rumbles his approval of Edeva in my head as she appears in my peripheral vision. She has what looks like a scroll wrapped up in rough muslin in one hand, and a few small sacs in the other. I'm amazed at what a day (well, half-day) of shopping will do for a person. She's glowing in the dim lights of the torches on the walls behind us, her eyes sparkling. She seems so god damned happy to see me.

     I want to confront her about what she did in that abandoned store. Kazaxon wants to just kill whoever I deem the traitor and be done with it so he can fuck Eva without any interruptions. I am tempted to let him at least interrogate Kwenthrith. The evidence is all there, waiting for me to present it to my queen.

     Kwenthrith worked for a family with ties to Delsor loyalists.
     She hid her mage abilities from me.
     She has unbridled access to Eva.
     She is always respectful towards me yet unafraid.
     She can do the work of the rebels right underneath my nose and I would be none the wiser. I could just blame someone more obvious, like my uncle. He did hire the dressmaker, after all, and did not doubt the man who claimed to be her son.

     Fortunately, Jean has an alibi. He never wanted to be king. He only survived Henry's coup by hiding, like me, in his summer estate that had been sold to a secret Aurelian loyalist named Marius. All Jean wanted was revenge for the killing of his family and to restore the Aurelians to glory. I am a mage and was willing to become a diablarist to see my goals realized, so Jean's hopes fell to me. He has lived a comfortable, rich life ever since, and he has had plenty of chances to kill me.

     Has he been biding his time until a better opportunity came up, like a queen he could manipulate as long as I was out of the way? I don't think so. It would be out of character for him.

     It was not Jean, Kaz says, and I do not believe it to be the redhead, either.

     What makes you think that?