16: Magic

I awoke to see Lenix watching me with an unfathomable gaze.

"Good morning." I smiled and greeted him happily. Was he watching me sleep? Am I drooling or something. Nah, it's definitely because I'm so handsome.

It's rare that Lenix wakes up before me though. Usually, it only happens when he gave me medicine that forced me to sleep or when he had things to do around the city. I'm glad he didn't leave today. I was afraid he would even though I took the pill just yesterday.

"Are you feeling alright?" Lenix asked me with a deep, somewhat hoarse voice.

"Pretty good thanks. What should we do today?" I looked back at him with wide curious eyes.

He examined me a moment more, then moved to the edge of the bed, pulling the blankets away as he moved. I tried to pull them back but ended up sliding over with them instead, almost falling against his back.

Lenix reached over, holding my shoulder to steady me.

"Learn magic." He stated simply. Then continued. "There are some books in your ring. Take them out."

Oooh, so they are books of magic? I had hoped as much.

Lenix picked through them until he chose one. His hand flashed then he handed it to me.

"What did you do to it?" I handled to book carefully examining it as if I would be able to see the residual magic he had just performed.

"Changed it to your language. Read this one to get started. This evening we will discuss it."

 "That's it, read? No doing magic?" I pouted, peering up at him sadly.

He patted my head softly. "No magic yet. Your body isn't stable right now because of the growth pill."

I was a bit disappointed but at least we are starting. I settled on the bed and started reading immediately. I felt a pull on the book. Lenix took it from my hands, setting it down. I looked up at him questioning his actions.

"Breakfast first, Imogen." 

"Oh yeah. I am pretty hungry now that you mention it." I swept the remaining books back into my storage ring then picked up the book Lenix had chosen for me.

Lenix pulled my hand and lead me to the kitchen. There was a huge stack of pancakes, eggs, bacon and toast. I quickly filled a plate. I noticed Lenix chose mostly eggs and bacon, only one slice of toast that he dipped into his egg. Mhm, as I thought he doesn't like sweet foods. I proceeded to drown my pancakes in syrup and gobbled them up happily. 

Lenix put a couple of eggs and a large piece of bacon on my plate. Even they tasted kind of sweet. Maybe because Lenix especially gave them to me? Or I just made a mess of syrup and got it on absolutely everything. 

After breakfast, I settled on the living room couch to study the magic book.

Lenix retrieved a book of his own and sat in an armchair near the window. The sun shone in from behind him creating a glowing halo. Lenix's hair looked shiny and soft. I suddenly wanted to touch it. I shook the irrelevant thought out of my head and focused on the book in my hands.

This book was the most basic beginning magic book. It was exactly where I needed to start but I got bored after reading for an hour. I started flipping through it, hoping to find a more interesting section.

A loose page fell out, I peeked curiously at the paper. A spell?! I glanced over to see if Lenix noticed, he hadn't looked up from his book. The spell was labeled "gentle breeze of spring". Sounds pleasant and harmless, it should be fine to try it out. It was extra exciting doing something I was told not to do.

I scanned the page a few times to familiarize myself with the spell, then softly said it out loud.

Every loose small object in the room was thrown up into a vortex. It was super loud too. I stood in a calm central area, watching the chaos around me not sure what to do about it. 

Lenix's gaze whipped up to me, he stood and headed straight toward me. I winced when he was hit by a few projectiles. In a few breaths, he was next to me in the center speaking words of magic that brought the vortex to a halt. 

"I'm sorry! I was really curious, what happened?" I sheepishly handed the page with the spell I had just performed over to him.

"Magic instability. We now know you have a high aptitude for wind magic though." His hand was glowing as he passed it around my head for a quick medical exam.

I bit my lip as I looked at Lenix. He had a small cut and some bruises were beginning to form. 

I gently dabbed at the cut on his temple with a small cloth and noticed a bruise forming on his jaw near his ear. I brushed my fingers lightly along Lenix's jaw.

"Does it hurt?" 

I suddenly realized how close we are. I had been intently peering at the small bruise. Lenix's hair moving a little with each of my breaths. I started to back away when the heavens spun and the world turned over. I found myself pinned down on the couch. Lenix looking down at me with darkened eyes. Coming closer as my eyes got wider. 

Ander was walking down the hall to the kitchen and toward the living room, loudly talking to Fran. Lenix was gone before Ander had even fully entered the room.

I was..he was..that was going to be a kiss, wasn't it? A real actual on my lips probably kiss!

I lay on the couch dumbfounded. My heart felt strange and was beating like drums. I didn't move for half a day.

"What happened in here?" Ander asked scanning the destroyed room. Then looked at me. "What's with your face? You're red to the ears."

 "Magic," I whispered softly.