Thirty Seven: Normal

"Oi, what's with this 'it will be okay from now on'?", Iwaizumi's voice stopped Oikawa on his way towards the school's main building.

The practice had just finished and there was still some time for the lessons to start, so Oikawa's pace was slow enough for Iwaizumi to catch up to him. The chocolate haired boy turned around to see his friend running up to him. He lowered his head and looked grimly on the ground, clenching his fists behind his back.

"She asked me to forget about everything", the boy replied after a while. His voice was quiet, devoid of energy, just like his today's game. It was obvious that something had to happen to the volleyball club's captain. Iwaizumi, who knew the boy even better than any other member of the team, could easily guess that Oikawa's poor performance had to be connected to you. He was all the more sure about this after seeing your fake, cheerful attitude this morning. Even though you tried to look okay, he could see that, whenever you thought that nobody was watching, your face was becoming gloomier and some kind of hidden pain was visible in your eyes.

Iwaizumi raised his eyebrow but he remained silent, letting his friend continue.

"And she promised to give up on me", Oikawa added unwillingly.

"Oh, so she's finally made up her mind", his friend said pensively. Somehow, he wasn't surprised hearing this. It was only natural that sooner or later you would give up on the boy who seemingly didn't requite your feelings.

He peeked at Oikawa from the corner of his eye.

Or rather, was too much of a coward to admit his feelings, he corrected himself in his thoughts.

Oikawa jigged.

"You know something, don't you?", he asked lively, noticing Iwaizumi's preoccupied expression.

"Well", his friend started slowly, "I'm not sure if it has anything to do with this, but Kageyama confessed to [Name] yesterday", he said, observing closely Oikawa's reaction.

The chocolate haired boy widened his eyes for a moment, a cold sweat forming on his forehead. He stopped walking, trying to process the newly acquired information. He cursed in his thoughts, realising how selfish his feelings were. Even though he rejected you, he didn't like the vision of you going out with anyone and doing the same things you were doing with him. A big wave of irritation overflew him as he imagined you and Kageyama together, and at the same time he felt his heart aching in pain, your words echoing in his mind: 'I want to take everything back'.

Did you want to take everything back to be with Kageyama? Were you really able to forget everything? Was it your final decision?

Suddenly, he lifted his head, an awry smile appearing on his face.

"I see", he replied as convincingly as he could, but Iwaizumi knew him too well to be fooled. "That's what I wanted after all".