06 | ѕєℓғιѕн вoy

I want your time and your full attention
I wanna talk to you and not to mention

Chapter 06 ~ Selfish Boy

Bobby Cooper

     That Friday, the very last day of carnival week, Ryan's parents allowed him to go to the carnival. It was all he could talk about at school, raving about how his parents needed help with one of their booths, and that he couldn't have been more excited to host a booth. It was a very strange reason for him to be so excited, but if it meant he wasn't staying in the house and staring at the four walls all day, then I was happy for him.

What I wasn't happy about was the fact that Liza had continued to drag me along with her fortune-telling adventures despite my constant refusal. I agreed to help her out for a couple days, not every single day. I still hadn't forgiven her about making up lies about my friendship with Ryan, and it was because of this that I was really starting to think I needed to break up with her again.

Currently, I was stuck by her side as the designated money collector as she continued to tell people false things about their future selves. The person who had just come up to the booth was a pretty brunette with big brown eyes. She flaunted a wide, perfect smile as she took a seat in front of Liza and held out her hands. "I've never done one of these before," she told Liza, even though she was looking at me.

Liza gave her a comforting smile and took her hands. "I can already tell that your future has a lot ahead of you."

"Just by touching my hands?" the brunette questioned after a full moment of having her mouth agape.

"Just by looking at you," Liza clarified with an even wider smile this time. A weird moment of awkward silence settled between them, mostly because Liza had closed her eyes and was already beginning the read her palms. "I'm seeing a lot of success for you. Great paying job, wealthy home, a hot husband?"

I watched as color flushed the brunette's cheeks. "What does this hot husband look like?" she asked as her deep eyes flicked to mine and a flirtatious grin made an appearance on her rosy lips.

Liza scrunched her face. "Dark hair ... dark eyes ... built ..." and as she continued to describe this mystery man, the brunette became more and more intrigued, seemingly because her future husband looked a lot like me.

"Is this handsome guy in my future?" The brunette prodded, which made Liza's eyes snap open instantly. She tore her hands away from the girl's and looked to me for some sort of explanation that I didn't have.

"He can be," I responded, purposefully.

I could practically feel Liza snap from beside me. I didn't have to look at her to know that she was fuming with anger. "Leave," she said between gritted teeth. For a second, I thought she was talking to me until she returned her attention to the girl. "Leave!"

"Oh!" She stood up and fumbled for her belongings. "Oh my god, I'm so sorry." She continued to apologize, but I doubted that Liza was actually listening.

"Why do you keep doing this to me, Bobby?" Her voice was softer than I had expected it to be. "I think I'm a pretty good girlfriend. Why do you always have to flirt with other girls?"

I leaned back in my seat and rolled my eyes, refusing to look at her so that she wouldn't do that thing that she did best—guilt trip me. "Why's it such a big deal? We're supposedly married in the future, aren't we?"