Chapter 22 - Bloodlines

I did the only thing I could think was logical at that point – I turned around and took off down the hallway, nearly sprinting back to the main part of the pack house. I had to find Dean and tell him what happened. If I got to him before Archibald, maybe Dean would know what was going on and wouldn't be as angry about whatever it was that Archibald felt would anger him.

The hallways seemed to go on forever as I ran through them. I'd slow my pace to a fast-walk whenever I passed by other people, and then jetted off once again. This wasn't how I'd anticipated spending my first day as Luna, and I knew it certainly wasn't what Dean had planned, so I could only hope that he'd understand that I felt this situation was more important and needed immediate attention.

I'd have plenty of other days to visit the pack infirmary.

I finally made it to the staircase and ran up to the second floor where Dean's office was located. It was still fairly early, so I knew he was likely still at his desk.

When I reached his office door, I knocked frantically. I didn't want to startle him, but wanted to get inside before Archibald found me yet again. I couldn't handle two encounters with him in one day – especially not alone.

Instead of calling for me to come in as he usually did, Dean pulled open the door with a look of worry in his eyes. He'd likely sensed it was me on the other side and immediately knew something wasn't right.

"Audrey, what's wrong?" he asked, his eyes swirling with emotions as he ushered me inside his office and shut the door behind me.

I stared up at him, trying to think of where to begin. I didn't want to get upset about this, not on my first real day as the Luna of Dark Root, but the tears inevitably won. "I...I ran into your father..." I started, but had to pause to catch my breath as my emotions surged and tears finally spilled.

Dean's eyes instantly darkened. He was already not pleased with this situation, and I hadn't even told him what happened yet.

"What did he do to you? Are you hurt?" Dean asked, clearly panicked as he looked me over, checking for any sign of obvious injury. Then he froze and a low growl began to build from the back of his throat. He must have spotted the tiny remnant of blood left on my arm.

"What did he do?!" he demanded again, this time raising his voice. I flinched, although I knew his anger wasn't directed at me. I didn't know if I would ever get used to seeing Dean so enraged.

"He followed me to the infirmary and cornered me in one of the more secluded hallways. He was going on and on about how I'm weak, but have an aura of power surrounding me, and that you were prophesized to have a strong mate. He...he just wasn't making any sense, Dean. He was saying that my father wasn't my biological father, but he thought he might know who was, and then he pricked my arm and stole a sample of my blood. He said when he had his proof, you wouldn't be happy about it, and that you'd take his side again," I rambled, spilling everything out to Dean as tears continued to stream down my face and sniffles broke up my sentences.

Dean shook his head, although I wasn't sure why, and walked me over to the sitting area at the front of his office. He sat me down on one of the couches, and then began to pace back and forth, clearly deep in thought. I was a bit confused by his actions, but decided I'd prefer him to be pacing and thinking than angry and yelling.

"My father has always been known to deal with witches and others with...unique...abilities. I have no doubt that he does plan to find something out with your blood. If he was telling you the truth, then he must think that your biological father is one of my true enemies," Dean finally spoke, expressing his thoughts to me.