7 - Sjöunda

"You have really beautiful eyes, Rayne," said Hayes.

That was pretty random, but I guess he was just trying to change the subject.

"Thanks Hayes," I said, thankful for more than just the compliment.

"You may have your reasons for living on your own, but if you ever need anything, you have friends at Vingjar," said Kye.

"I'll remember that Alpha Kye," I replied.

Jordyn was still sulking but everyone else seemed to be pretty okay with me. Which was quite the shocker because I thought Starke's friends didn't like me at all. He probably schooled them to be nice before I got here.

Still, I'm glad I got out of the house and acted a bit social for once.

I stood up and smiled at Starke.

"I guess I should take my leave now. It's quite late," I said politely.

Starke looked a bit disappointed and said, "Well, we were planning on watching a movie. It would be great if you could stay a bit longer?"

Sven held my shoulder from beside me and said, "It's not like you have something better to do at home, do ya?"

I gave him a side glare. He raised his hands up in surrender.

At least it's not something stupid like Truth or Dare.

I saw Sven's smirk grow wider.

I looked at Starke and said, "Well okay, I guess I'll stay."

His face lit up as he got to his feet and asked Hayes to turn the tv on again. They put in an old science-fiction movie which I haven't seen before and settled in to watch.

Sleep doesn't come easy to me yet half-way through almost everyone else was asleep. Sven and Starke stayed up while the rest had dozed off some time ago.

The movie isn't that bad, though?

I could see Starke was on the verge of sleep too and was forcing his eyes open.

When the movie was about to end, I found him sleeping with his head on the centre table. He looked quite adorable.

I heard Sven's voice as soon as the credits started. He was probably waiting to ask me this.

"You were a pack warrior," he said quietly.

I got up and turned the tv off. I looked at him and nodded.

"Aren't you going to ask how I knew?"

"You're a warrior too. It's not too hard to see then, is it?" I replied.

Liet-born members don't get along with packs as well as Sven is doing here. That's what gave him away.

"Touché," he smiled at me. "There's more to the Liet standards of living than just stealing, hunting and killing, ya know?"

I looked at him nonchalantly. "I know that."

"How would you know? Were you ever a part of a Liet band?" he asked.

"No, I was never a part of one. I know quite a bit about them because I've traveled and I've had help. It was never the packs that helped me on my travels," I said, sighing as I looked at Kye and Wyatt.

"You're saying you trust the Liet over Alphas and Betas of packs?" he asked with a smirk.

"I'm saying that the Liet trusted me more than any pack Alphas or Betas," I replied.

He looked thoughtful for a minute, but I said something before he could.

"They had their reasons to help me Sven. Just as there are reasons behind all your questions."

He got up and gave me a smug look.

"You're one smartass."

I don't even know if that's a compliment.

"Thanks?" I said laughing softly.

"C'mon. I'll drop you home," he said kindly.

Kindness didn't suit him the way smugness did.

"I don't live too far. I'll be okay," I said to him.

"I don't get many opportunities to play the gentleman. Please?" He asked with a pleading puppy face to which anybody with a heart can't refuse.

"All right, fine," I said with a small smile. "Should we wake Starke up?"

"Nah. He'll probably ask you to stay the night. Unless you want to. Totally up to you," he said raising his eyebrows and smirking.

We got out of the house. I took the house key with me, locked the door and slipped the key under the door.

Sven looked impressed.

"What? You thought I'd leave the door unlocked for burglars to get in?" I asked him.

Sven just smiled. He was thinking something, but he didn't choose to share it with me.

We walked towards Sven's car, got in, and left for my home in silence. I told him the directions and he swiftly made the turns before we reached my home.

Just as I was about to get out, he held my hand and said, "There's a reason wolves live in packs, Rayne."

Then he brought his face close to mine and whispered in my ear, "Stay safe." He gave me a wink and pulled back with a grin. "Good night Rayne."

I mumbled a 'thank you' and got out, not really paying much attention to anything except those two words.

Stay safe.