CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

ACE OF HEARTS
CHAPTER ELEVEN: I KNOW A LOT
ABOUT GUNS, OKAY?

SITTING NEXT TO HER BROTHER ON THE KITCHEN COUNTER, Cassie Harrington leaned her head on his chest as he lay a protective arm around her

SITTING NEXT TO HER BROTHER ON THE KITCHEN COUNTER, Cassie Harrington leaned her head on his chest as he lay a protective arm around her. At the table, Mike, Dustin, Lucas, and Max watched eagerly as Chief Hopper talked with a woman on the phone.

"How many people are at the lab?" The woman's voice softly through the phone.

"I don't know how many people are there!" Hopper defended, his voice rising in anger. "I don't know how many people are left alive!"

"Have you contacted the police?"

"I am the police!" Hopper shouted. "Chief Jim Hopper!"

"Is there a number I can reach you at?"

"Yes, the number I gave you," Hopper spoke, his voice lowering. "6767...I will be here!"

Sighing, Cassie scooted off the counter — her wet hair dripping at the ends from the recent shower she had taken to get the blood off of her.

Wrapping the blanket tightly around her, Cassie walked over to to table where her friends sat — none of them saying a word to each other. Taking an empty seat between Dustin and Mike, Cassie slouched in her chair.

As Hopper hung up the phone, he turned to the group of kids. Dustin stood from his seated position, placing both of his hands on the table as he asked, "They didn't believe you, did they?"

Hesitating, Hopper muttered, "We'll see."

"We'll see?!" Mike quoted, turning to Hopper with an angered expression. "We can't just sit here while those things are loose! They killed Bob! And almost Cassie too!"

Clenching his jaw at the mention of their names, Hooper spoke sternly, "We stay here, and we wait for help."

Walking away from the group, Hopper left the room — leaving the kids by themselves in the kitchen. Turning to Cassie, Dustin commented, "So, what did they look like?"

"Dustin!" Mike snapped, furrowing his eyebrows at the idiotic boy. "Cassie has just been traumatized, and your asking her what it looked like?"

"Geez," Dustin spoke, raising his hands up in innocence. "Too soon?"

Rolling his eyes, Mike turned back to Cassie, "Hey, are you alright?"

Clenching her jaw, Cassie Harrington's mind whirred in remembrance. Though she was utterly terrified in that moment of near-death experience, Cassie was also angry.