5

We arrived at Mark's house. I had visited his house before when we worked on a group project together, but I still got nervous when I saw the party lights and all the people that were there.

As soon as we walked into the house Billy said hi to a group of guys I recognized from the baseball team.

"You know my brother, Adam."

"He's your brother?" I recognized Phil, he had been my lab partner last year. "Bro! This dude is hilarious."

"Hey man!" I replied a little more confident about myself after his comment.

"If you're brothers why aren't you on the baseball team?" he asked.

"Oh no! Don't ask Adam to do any sports, he might faint." Joked Billy.

"Oh! At least he doesn't have your stuck up attitude Bill." We all laughed, and I was a little relieved when I realized Billy's cold attitude was the same with everyone and not only with me.

We talked for a while when suddenly Billy noticed someone in the crowd.

"Yeah, excuse me guys, I have something to do." He said leaving with a smug expression.

I stared at him, but he didn't even look at me once, leaving me alone in the middle of the party. I decided to make my way to the food table, as always.

"Your brother's just horny" I heard Phil from behind and we both laughed. "Where are you going?" he said placing his arm around my shoulder.

"Yeah dude, don't leave, we're having a good time." Said a guy who had introduced himself as Sam. It was true, we were talking about music and my musical taste is something I had always been proud about.

"I'm just getting a drink" I explained. "I'll be right back."

I was getting myself a beer when I felt some arms wrap around my waist. I turned around, startled, only to see a blur of pink close to my face.

"Hey!"

"Melany!" I greeted. "What's up?"

"So now you know my name. I'm guessing you asked around. I feel flattered."

I didn't have the heart to tell her otherwise but I also didn't know how to answer to the fact that she knew I didn't know her name the last time.

"Do you want a beer?"

She nodded.

We spend the next minutes talking about the people at the party. Melany turned out to be a fun girl, even though at first I thought she was kind of childish. I found it interesting how she was able to switch from a funny joke to a serious topic, she said that was more of a fault instead of a virtue because she got distracted easily.

She also liked to read like me. We talked about our favorite books and about the best and worst movie adaptation of each book. She liked science fiction. I liked historic novels.

I told her how I wanted to become an archeologist and about the best Summer Camp I had gone to when I was 12. It was the "Earth Explorers Camp for Kids" and I had wanted to go so badly after I saw a poster at school.

Aunt Sheila had opposed at first when she looked at the price but she started secretly working a second shift at her work. She gave me the surprise during my last day of school and it had been amazing.

Melany, on the other hand, wanted to be a psychologist. Her mother was one, and she had always been fascinated by the profession. When talking to her, her mother's colleagues had told her she actually had the abilities to pursue that career.