Chapter 5

Hey guys

Please comment, vote, and follow!

Sorry for any grammar and editing mistakes!

Enjoy!

-&-

Chapter 5

       Lunch the next day was intense to say the least. I had tried to sneak away into the theater room again—no one ever went in there—but that mountain of a boy was already waiting for me.

       I let out a heavy sigh and acted like he was dragging me to certain doom after he, quite literally, put his huge hand on top of my head and spun me in the opposite direction of my secret escape. Now I was sitting right smack in the middle of a beyond awkward bubble of tension as Trey and Denton tried to pretend there was nothing wrong.

       I could feel his dark, tummy-turning chestnut eyes glaring from the other side of the table, but I was too much of a chicken to meet his gaze.

       Even after my Rex-tirade from the night before—where I finally decided he was more of the knight than a demon—I was not dumb enough to believe we were even close to being friends. He might have saved me, but that didn't mean he liked me. Despite sleeping through most of the night without a problem, I felt more tired than ever.

       "You alright there, Princess?"

       I nodded at the slight concern in Trey's voice, but kept my gaze pointed towards the sorry excuse of mac and cheese on the school's crummy paper trays in front of me.

       Trey was pretty adamant in his disgust at the food when I insisted on grabbing some from the lunch line, even after he offered to split the lasagna he brought from his dinner before. The cafeteria had microwaves for the students to use, and his lunch smelled delicious.

       The lunch table was a small, black, circular table that allowed everyone to practically stare at each other as they ate, and it was more than uncomfortable when those chestnut eyes refused to stop glaring daggers into the top of my head.

       "Why do you call me that?" I mumbled down to my food as Trey stretched his large body out beside me. Those strong shoulders shrugged in a nonchalant manner.

       "You're cute, and small. Like a princess."

       There was heat staining my cheeks but that was quickly replaced by the scowl pulling on my lips. "I'm not small." But I wasn't going to argue if he insisted on calling me cute.

       The all-too-familiar shriek of a chair scraping against tile surrounded us as Rex, like usual, slammed his chair back and rose to his feet. He didn't say a word, or bother pushing his seat back in as he left—fire practically flaming from his eyes.

       Everyone watched him leave, even the Dimajio brother's who had been too busy shoveling food into their mouths. I glanced up at Trey to see his bright eyes narrowed, and his brow furrowed. Like he felt my stare on him, his gaze flickered down and he forced a small smile on his lips.

       "Must be that time of the month. He'll get over whatever's up his ass eventually."

       Even though my face heated at the period-comment, unease settled deep in the pit of my stomach. I wasn't sure what I did, or what I was doing, that made Rex hate me so much—but it was tearing apart his relationship with his friends. That's the last thing I ever wanted to do.

       I gulped down one slimy, fake-cheese, disgusting bite of noodles before grabbing onto my bag and rising slowly to my feet. "I-I'm really not that hungry, and I have that paper to do..." Those bright eyes were now narrowed at me as I pushed my chair in and pulled the bag onto my shoulders.