ten

johnnys pov

incoming call! my phone buzzes. kenz🤮💘🤬 would like to facetime! i click accept.

"what is it rat?" i pretend to be annoyed. she shrugs.

"i'm bored."

"and how does that concern me?"

kenzie giggles. i smile, knowing that our rudeness towards each other is one of the few things that hasn't changed in the last four years. that sounds strange, i know, but our friendship is filled with insults and teasing.

"oh, hey, guess what!" kenzie's beautiful features break out into a smile.

"what?" i ask.

"i'm throwing a party this weekend and you're coming to help set upppp." kenzie sings happily.

"did i agree to this?" i laugh. she's so cute.

"no, but lauren did on your behalf. she's coming too." kenzie informs me.

"so there go my plans for saturday." i shrug.

"wait, did you actually have plans?" kenzie asks, looking guilty.

"yep, i have a date on saturday."

"oh." kenzie looks confused, and i could've sworn her face fell. my heart beats faster. is she jealous?

what's wrong with me? she doesn't care. she's just sad because she wants me to help set up.

"i'm kidding, kenz." i force a laugh. "no date. of course i'll be there."

kenzie smiles her relief. "bring snacks, loser."

"fine." i agree. she's about to hang up when i stop her. "now i'm bored, don't hang up."

"okay, idiot." she laughs. i try to think of a way to keep the conversation going, when i realize she's completely unaware of everything going on in my family's life. so i do my best to inform her.

"hey, guess what? darian's girlfriend proposed." i inform her, getting a scream in response.

"what?????"

"darian said yes, but they're not getting married for at least 1 more year." i laugh at her reaction.

"that's reasonable. they're pretty young. hey, did you hear that..."

our conversation continues, and after a few hours i start to drift off. kenzie does too, but neither of us hang up. when i wake up the next morning, my phone is dead. oops.

i wish i didn't have to leave. i wish i could talk to mackenzie every day, hug her all the time. and i wish i could kiss her again. i want to tell her how i feel. it's maddening, and i can't hold it in any longer.

but i have to. it's for the best, i guess.

an// short chapters recently, sorry! i'm sort of trying to make this story longer & stretch it out bc i already drafted the whole book.
also, thank u so much for all the support!! i cant believe i hit 1k reads, im so happy rn <3
- ria