Chapter 1: Back to Hogwarts

Katherine Bright was the first to arrive at the King's Cross station. She was extremely excited about her 7th year, especially after what happened the year before.

Experiencing the war was something she wished no one would have to go through ever again, it was horrible. One of her dearest friends got murdered by a death eater right in front of her face, and she couldn't do anything to save her. She still had nightmares about that day.

Somehow she managed to survive, and she was beyond grateful for that. She didn't want to die yet, there were so many things she needed to experience.

The past was impossible to forget of course, but she tried her best to move on and be happy again – or at least pretend to be.

As time passed, people slowly started filling the station and she was constantly watching the growing crowd, searching for her friends.

She spotted someone with red hair, which got her hopes up. Katherine thought she saw her friend, Annie – who was also a Hufflepuff, just like herself –, but a second later she realised who it actually was.

Ginny Weasley was walking towards a blonde girl, followed by... She couldn't believe her eyes.

"Is it possible?" She thought.

They were back. All three of them.

She was looking at the Golden Trio with furrowed eyebrows, deep in thought, when she suddenly felt someone hugging her.

"Annie!" She looked at her friend with a grin, wrapping her arms around her.

"I missed you, Kat," she sighed, then looked into her eyes. "How are you holding up?"

Concern was obvious in Annie's eyes.

"I'm doing my best," she offered her a light smile. "What about you?"

"I'll be fine," her friend nodded, returning the gesture.

Annie took a look around the station, observing the crowd.

"Oh, my! Kat, have you heard?"

Katherine turned to look at her again, noticing the excitement in her eyes.

"Heard what?"

"Last year's 7th years have been called back to Hogwarts to repeat their last year. Isn't that awesome?"

Oh, so that's why they were back. That made sense.

"Yeah, that's a great opportunity for them," she nodded.

People began getting on the train, so they followed the other students. They sat down in a cabin with two other Hufflepuff's, talking about little things and telling each other terrible jokes, ones that probably only they found funny. They put each other in a happy mood, trying to forget about the horrible things that happened.

After the train arrived, they began making their way towards the castle. They waved to some other students here and there, smiling at them.

A lot of people had blank expressions on their faces, which was totally understandable, but it still made Kat's heart sink. She hated to see people in such depressed moods.

They entered the Great Hall and everyone sat down at their House's table, except for the first years, of course.

After the sorting – which she really enjoyed, as always, clapping happily whenever someone got sorted into Hufflepuff –, and the general speech told by McGonagall, the feast began.

A first-year girl took a seat next to Kat, who seemed quite shy, so Annie and her decided to try and make her feel better. By the end of the feast, the girl – who she discovered was called Emma – seemed to be enjoying herself a lot, chatting and laughing with everyone around her.

Katherine took a look around the Hall. Seeing all the colourful ties made her feel joyful somehow.

Her eyes wandered towards the Slytherin table, where she accidentally locked eyes with someone.

She recognized him in a heartbeat, one just couldn't not know those grey eyes and platinum blonde hair. He looked at her for like two seconds, then turned away to talk with the person sitting next to him.

"It must be hard for him," she thought, a little frown appearing on her face. A lot of the students looked at Draco Malfoy like he was pure garbage. Sure, it was kind of understandable, considering the things he had done in the past years and all, but she still couldn't help but feel bad for him. After all, everyone should deserve a second chance, right?

On top of everything, he reminded her of Kovu from The Lion King – ever since Annie introduced her to the world of Disney since she was a muggle-born –, he just needed a Kiara.

That thought made her smile, then she shook her head. She turned back to her friends, who were talking about how excited they were for Herbology that year. Katherine nodded along, feeling the same way. She loved plants.

Right before the students were about to leave, McGonagall started speaking again.

"Attention, please! Thank you. Now before you leave to your Common Rooms, I have to announce something."

Annie and Kat looked at each other, curious about what the announcement was.

"There will be no classes tomorrow, yet. You will get your timetables after breakfast, then you will have a free day to yourselves."

Students began murmuring between each other, already planning what they were going to do.

"However-" McGonagall continued. "All students in their 7th year will have to stay after breakfast, there is another announcement I will have to make."

She didn't look too happy, which made Kat wonder what it could be about.

After that, they were allowed to leave, so they made their way towards the Common Rooms.

She loved their Common Room. It made her feel so cosy and at home. She loved sitting in the yellow armchairs, reading books and drinking tea. She believed she could never be sad in that room.

"What do you think the announcement's going to be?" Mary asked, who was repeating her 7th year.

A couple of 7th years were sitting in the Hufflepuff Common Room, trying to figure out what was going on.

"I have no idea, but considering the look on McGonagall's face, I don't think it's going to be good," a boy called Tony shook his head, crossing his arms nervously.

"Come on guys, it can't be worse than... You know," Katherine shrugged, not wanting to say what she was thinking, but everyone knew what she meant.

"I guess you're right, Kat," Annie sighed, then she forced a smile on her face. "But no matter what happens, we will always be here for each other."

Everyone in the group nodded, smiling at each other.

Annie was totally right. No matter what the announcement was going to be, they would have each other's back, that she was sure of.