24) The Missing Father

Lena
-
My eyes widened and I quickly got up. "Mom What are you doing here? You didn't call..." I bit my lip nervously as Daren sat up slowly.

"I wanted to surprise you, grandpa is doing better..." she took a deep breath. "Want to explain to me what he is doing in this bed? And why you were all over him?" She raised a brow.

"Mom." I gave her a look that said not now. "Can we talk outside?"

She glanced at him and me then nodded walking out quickly. "Talk quick because I don't know how long I can stay calm."

"Okay, um so basically, he got into a car crash and his room is on the third floor and his parents are never home and no one could take care of him and he had no place to stay so I offered him the guest room!" I rambled.

"Okay... that explains why his stuff is here, but it doesn't explain why you were draped all over him. " she points.

"We're not having sex!" I blurted out.

"I never said you were." She said. " But now I'm wondering."

"Im sorry, I'm really not, but I didn't want you to think the worst... um basically he asked me out and i said yes.." i bit my lip.

"How many times have I told you, you're not allowed to date until you're ready for marriage Lena!." She said harshly. "Have you not listened to a word I've said!"

"Mom! That's completely unrealistic, we're just dating, getting to know eachother.." I groaned. "What's so bad about it?"

"I waited until I was ready for marriage." She said.

I scoffed. "Look how well that worked out." My hand clamped my mouth as soon as I said it. "Mom, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean that."

Her eyes watered. "I need to be alone ."

"No, mom I'm so sorry-"

"I don't want to hear it." She said and walked off to her bedroom.

I groaned. "Dammit!" I walked back into the room.

I really didn't mean to say that. I know my father is a sensitive topic but I was just so mad at her. Why cant she just accept I don't believe the same things she does?

"So what happened?" Daren asked. "Do I have to leave."

"No, well I don't think so... she hasn't said anything yet." I sighed. "I said something pretty terrible, it cut out conversation really short.."

"What did you say?" He raised a brow.

"I don't even want to repeat it." I groaned throwing myself onto the bed. "I said something about my Dad."

"Your dad?" He asked surprised. "I never wanted to mention it because it seemed like a touchy topic but.. what happend?"

"Um, my dad had an affair a few years into their marriage, he was planning on leaving my mother but she had just found out she was pregnant with me so he stuck around for a while until it all became to much for him and he left..." I bit my lip looking down at my hand nervously.

"I'm so sorry." Daren placed a hand over mine.

I shrugged. "it's not your fault he didn't love me."

"Hey, don't say that. I'm sure he loves you." He tried to reassure me.

"He doesn't. He married his mistress and they had kids, which he loves the way he didn't love me." I shrugged. "I don't really care, he was never around for me so, it doesn't bother me."

"Lena, you don't have to lie to me." He said softly. "It's okay to miss him."

"I'm not lying!" I pulled my hand away. "if I say I don't care, it means I don't care." I glared at him and walked out. How dare he tell me how to feel?

I balled my hands up in Fists and paced the living room. I can't handle this right now. Why did I have to bring him up. It's not like I care. It's not like I wondered why all the other little girls had dad's to take to the father daughter dances. Or why the parents would look at us weird when only my mother showed up for events. Or who would walk me down the isle on my wedding day, I don't care. I. Don't. Care.

I felt a hand on my shoulder stop me from pacing. "Lena, stop. Please, I'm sorry." Daren slowly pulled me into his chest. "I shouldn't have said anything."

I sniffled and wrapped my arms around him. "I'm sorry, I overreacted." I buried my face in his chest.

"Let's just forget it okay? We can watch supernatural and eat poptarts." He smiled down at my softly wiping my cheeks with his thumb. I hadn't even realized I had started crying.

I nodded. "but first I have to talk to my mother."

He nods. "okay, I'll wait for you."

I nodded. "go lie down, you're not supposed to be up."

He chuckled. "yes ma'am." He kissed my forehead once before walking back to his room.

I gave myself a few seconds before walking upstairs and knocking on my moms door.

"If you're here to fight, just don't. He can stay." She said through the door.

"I'm not. Can I come in?" I asked.

I heard a few sounds before the door opened and she stepped aside. "come in."

I nodded and walked in taking a seat on her bed. "mom, I'm so sorry. I was way out of line."

She shrugged wiping her eyes. "it's how you feel."

"No, it's not. I was just upset. "

"I just don't want you to fall into the same mistakes I did." She said. "I lied before."

"About what?" I asked.

"Your father and I didn't get married because we were in love and ready for marriage. We got married because I was pregnant and he didn't want me to be shunned because of my bad choices." She confessed.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "wait, that doesn't make sense. I wasn't born until you had been married for 2 years." I said.

She nods. "I was pregnant with a baby boy." She smiled softly at the memory. "your father and i thought we were being careful but apparently not enough. So he promised to marry me and take me away from everyone so they wouldn't find out. But unfortunately I had a miscarriage..."

I gasped softly.

"After that your father and I had been fighting non stop blaming it on each other. Eventually he had enough and was going to leave but I had found out I was pregnant again and so he decided to stay and be a part of your life... But I knew he was only staying for you. He didn't love me, so I told him I wanted a divorce."

"Wait, so he wanted me?" I asked.

"Of course he did." She smiled softly. "you're his little girl."

"But why did he never come back?" My eyes watered.

"He did for a while, but once he got remarried his wife moved him to another state where they made their own family." She sighed looking down at her hands.

"I don't even remember him." I sobbed.

"Sweetie I'm so sorry." She pulled me into her embrace. "I wish I could have given you a better life."

--

A/N: woah, things got serious... For those of you still reading, Thank you it means a lot. This chapter was kind of weird. I'm not used to writing serious moments lol.