46|| Annabeth

"HE-WHO-MUST-NOT-BE-NAMED RETURNS," Annabeth read aloud. She, Thalia, Nico, Jason, Piper, Frank, Will, and Hazel were gathered under the tree by the lake. The sun was shining but the mood was somber. Hazel and Nico were exchanging looks that seemed to be a sort of child-of-Hades/Pluto language. Jason's jaw was clenched so tightly it was amazing his teeth hadn't shattered. And Percy... well, Percy had gone into the lake. And he probably wasn't coming out soon.

Annabeth sighed. No one seemed to be interested in the article. She folded it up and placed it on the grass next to her.

"I heard Trelawney's coming back," Piper finally said in an attempt to break the silence. "I suppose now we'll have two Divination teachers."

"We oughta sack the subject altogether," said Thalia violently. "Prophecies have caused enough trouble."

Clearly glum her comment turned once again to the events that happened earlier that week, Piper picked dolefully at the grass and flicked the blades into the water. "Well, things will be back to normal now that Dumbledore's back," she said.

Nico threw down his wand. It fell with a dull thump in the long, yellow blades. "What're we going to do?" he demanded. "Voldemort's acting and Harry hates us. We've practically failed our quest."

"But we haven't yet," said Annabeth. She stood up and ground The Daily Prophet under her heel aggressively before stalking back to the castle.

The sound of feet pounded behind her by the time she reached the courtyard.

"We'll come with you," said Thalia, referring to herself, Percy, and Nico. Surprisingly, Percy was soaking wet as he let the lake water drench his hair.

They turned the corner and nearly ran headfirst into Neville and Luna, who were descending from the stairs that led to the Hospital wing.

"Oh, hullo," said Luna distantly.

"Hi," they all chorused.

Neville bounced on the balls of his feet. His hands, which had been turned to dolphin flippers sometime in the middle of the fight after Harry and Percy disappeared, were back to normal, and they plucked at the hem of his shirt anxiously. "Hi," he finally said.

"Hi, Neville," they all chorused again.

There was a silence that was only broken by the humming of Luna as she dusted her hair with a scrolled up copy of the Quibbler.

"Okay, we're gonna go now," said Thalia. "Bye!"

Neville and Luna waved goodbye as the four stalked up the stairs.

"Hello," said Hermione as she saw them.

"Hullo," Ron said dully — he had been trying to pretend he didn't notice them.

"Hi," said Annabeth as she sat cross legged on the nearest bed. "How are you doing?"

"Fine," was the stiff response.

"I don't think Umbridge is though," said Hermione with a small laugh in an attempt to lighten the mood. It worked. Ron grinned and lowered his voice.

"Watch this."

Then he made a clip-clopping sound with his tongue. Umbridge shot straight up in her bed next to Madam Pomferey's office, her face draining of all color.

"Professor?" said Madam Pomferey.

"N-nothing," Umbridge stammered. "It's nothing."

The six had to hide their giggles.

"Real pity they found her in the end," said Nico with a sigh.

"She's set to be sorted out in a few days too," Ron added. "Such a shame."