xiii. leadership

─── ・ 。゚☆: *

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

IT HASN'T BEEN EASY SLEEPING WELL, CURLED ON THE COLD GROUND WITH NOTHING BUT A JACKET AND A NEARLY EMPTY STOMACH. But June was able to doze off and sleep for what felt like hours and was slightly irked when she felt someone shaking her shoulder. A slight groan escaped her lips as her eyes flickered a few times, adjusting to the glow, but hearing Finn's clear voice. "Clarke, June, wake up!" She thought for a split minute that she was at camp, but when shifting, remembered the cushion beneath her. She could even feel her cheek resting on Clarke's shoulder, leaving June comfortable, but she went wide-eyed when seeing why she was being woke them up.

Finn was beside the bed they had laid Charlotte on, but it was empty, the blanket pushed to the side. June sat up, pushing herself off Clarke. "What? Where is she?" She stammered, worried that she had gotten free. There were a hundred different endings this could take.

"She's gone," Finn replied simply. June cussed lowly under her breath, pushing herself off the couch with Clarke. After a quick search, they could see that Charlotte was nowhere inside the bunker, so she had to have left.

The three grabbed what was important, and Finn was the one to take the lead as their tracker. June sucked in a deep breath when seeing how dark it was, her gaze barely adjusting, even when Finn turned the light Clarke carried on to give them more of a direction. They raced forward through the woods, as he studied the prints in the mud closely. June was no tracker, but as she leaned closer to get a closer view, she could see two different sets.

"Someone else was here," Finn noted in a mumble.

Suddenly, in the distance, there was a familiar child screaming. "No, no! Murphy!" June had felt herself stand straighter, becoming tense at the noise. It was Charlotte, it had to be. And there had to be someone with her.

On the same track as June, Clarke spoke worriedly. "Murphy has her."

The only choice the group had was to run towards the sound. June could feel her boots dig into the mood as she ran, her heart beating fast in her chest, almost feeling as if she was flying through the woods, tree branches and brushes nothing but a breeze behind her. She could hear Murphy shouting Charlotte's name, her angry screams, leaving a loud echo in June's ears. She cared, so much, and the only reason she did so was because the thought of Wells being permanently embedded in her head.

June's hurtling ceased to a stumbling when coming to an opening in the woods. She froze in place, seeing Murphy and his followers, cornering Bellamy and Charlotte to an edge of a cliff. It was too dangerous, and with how adrenaline-filled everyone was, it was only gambling with their lives.

"Bellamy!" Clarke shouted. "Stop! This has gone too far!" She moved to get closer until she was much too close to Murphy. "Just calm down. We'll talk about this," she suggested calmly, her hands held between him and Bellamy.