[12]

Ayato frowned as he saw (Y/N) smile and greet the human couple that walks in as politely and as cheerful as she could.

They smile and the young women ruffled her hair, telling her boyfriend about how cute she was.

When they took their seats (Y/N) than proceeded to sweeping the floor and chatting with Enji lightly.

He furrowed her eyebrows. In the state that he saw her in yesterday, he was certain she'd be grumpy or at least not as cheerful, but no; it was as if yesterday, whatever it was, didn't even happen. Like she was completely alright. How one person could be so happy after the state he saw her in yesterday was beyond his reasoning.

He analyzed her movement's. She laughed quietly at something Enji had whispered and glanced at the group of kids sitting at the end of the shop, her giggles increased when she saw them look at her.

Then she was back to sweeping the floor, humming softly with a small smile on her face.

He scowled. It was as exactly as if yesterday never happened. He wanted answers. What happened yesterday? He sure as hell couldn't get it from Renji because the only time he spoke more than two words to was when he was around the shrimp.

Then he saw her pause by the window, and his expression softened. She looked out the window, her eyes distant and her smile faltering. Her grip on the broom was tight, so tight her knuckles were white. She sighed and looked down, her lips parting as she tucked a loose strand of her hair behind her ears. She frowned.

"When you're done staring at (Y/N) can you refill the coffee beans from the staff rooms?" Touka said, breaking him from his daze.

His cheeks burned with embarrassment as he glared at his sister. "I wasn't staring at her."

She smirked. "Sure you weren't just standing there gazing at her for more than three minutes?"

He scowled at her, "whatever." He shoved past her.

Touka chuckled in amusement, shaking her head. She loved teasing him about (Y/N) because his cheeks would turn the lightest most brightest shade of red and it looked out of place with that angry scowl he usually wore.

She flickered her gaze over to (Y/N) as she walked towards a table with the human couple.

She saw the confused and slight concerned look in Ayato's eyes and wondered what happened to make him act that way. It was true that (Y/N) did come late last night and Ayato said he would 'wait until that annoying shrimp came back'. Maybe it was what he saw when she finally did arrive that got him so worked up?

But judging from the nonchalant and care-free smile (Y/N) wore Touka wasn't even 100% with her assumption.

Once Ayato was done he walked back out and surveyed the shop. There was more customers here than any other day since today was a public holiday, Ayato didn't bother remembering which lousy one it was.

The shop was almost full and among the many heads he saw, he couldn't spot (Y/N). He frowned and walked up to the counter where Enji was busy with the orders.

"Hey Monkey Man. Where the hell is that annoying shrimp?" He demanded, glaring up at the older man.

"It's not--" Enji paused and sighed, rubbing his temple to calm himself down. "She's with her friend." He answered, not even bothering to correct the boy if he wasn't even going to use the actual term.

"That annoying short pest?" He muttered under his breath, referring to Cho. "Did she have pink hair?" He asked louder.

Enji shook his head. "No, I'm pretty sure it's a he."