― 20 | CALM BEFORE THE STORM

EDELYN WOKE ALONE THE NEXT MORNING, and for a moment, she wondered if the events of the night before had just been a dream

EDELYN WOKE ALONE THE NEXT MORNING, and for a moment, she wondered if the events of the night before had just been a dream. But when she looked down to see that she was wearing a maroon jumper with a large letter 'H' stitched in golden thread, she couldn't help the wide grin that crossed her face. 

Stomach giving a loud rumble, she changed into a pair of jeans and headed down to the kitchen to grab breakfast; she gasped as she walked into someone. 

"Oh, Harry!" Her cheeks flushed a light shade of pink. "Sorry about that."

"Oh, that's — er — alright," he said, and Edelyn furrowed her eyebrows as she noticed just how pale he appeared. Before she could ask him what was wrong, however, he quickly stepped around her and dashed into the living room, leaving Edelyn to stare after him in much confusion.

Brow still knitted, she walked into the kitchen. To her great surprise, she was met with the sight of Fred and George; they were leaned against the counter wearing identical, pleased smiles.

Edelyn tilted her head questioningly. "What are you two doing here?" she asked.

"Oh, what a fine greeting," George said with a playful roll of his eyes. "Imagine this, Lynster: Freddie and I get the message from Bill that you're back, right? So, we sacrifice our beauty sleep to come bright and early this morning to wake you up with a well-designed prank, only to find you cuddled with a certain scarhead on the floor. I mean, honestly, at least take it to the bed."

Edelyn's eyes widened and her face glowed bright red. "What?" She spluttered. "We didn't — we didn't—"

"All I'm saying," George continued, "is that it's all wild and fun until someone injures—"

"George!"

"Alright, alright." He snickered and raised his hands up in defence. Edelyn, meanwhile, flickered her eyes to Fred, but Fred seemed to have developed a newfound interest in his cup of coffee. 

"So, what exactly did you two just do?" she asked, gaze meeting back with George's. 

"I haven't the slightest clue of what you're getting at."

Edelyn folded her arms at the innocent grin plastered on George's face. "You've obviously done something. He just walked out of here looking as if he'd seen Inferi. Spill it." 

"Well, it's more like what we said." 

"And what exactly did you say?" 

"Oh, you know, the general speech."

"Meaning...?"

"The usual stuff," George hummed. "Like: 'If you dare hurt her again, we'll get our Beaters' bats, hunt you down, and pummel you with them'." He knitted his brow in thought. "But we may have added a few fancier words in there as well as some specific anatomical targets that aren't quite for your dear innocent ears."