Monopoly (V.H)

VIOLET'S POV

March 15th, 1957. 9:29 pm. The Apollo Theater

I awkwardly sit in the 'reserved for Violet Winter' spot in the front row of the Apollo theater. I honestly wonder how Buddy managed this. I'm quite obviously the only white person in the crowd. It doesn't help that I have red hair.

"Ma'am, the white theater is down the street." The woman next to me says.

"Uh, I know..." is all I muster.

"I don't think that Violet would be pleased with you in her seat."

"I am Violet Winter. My husb- I mean fiance is performing."

She crosses her arms. "And who might that be, girl?"

"Buddy Holly." I mumble.

"Mhm, and what's his business with a white girl like you?"

Oh no, they think he's black. Buddy and the band are certainly not black.

"Um, Buddy Holly and the Crickets are all white."

She raises an eyebrow. "Are they now?"

I nod.

"Then how'd THEY get a playing role here?"

I shrug. "Pure ambition."

"That's the most whack-ass thing I ever heard. I just might give you credit. I'm Minnie, by the way."

"I'm Violet."

"Where ya from, sugar? England?"

"Sure, there." I reply, shifting in my seat.

The announcer walks out onto the stage. "Now y'all, I know we ain't 'bout judgin' a brother or a sister based on skin, yeah?" He says into the mic.

The crowd cheers.

"Keep that in mind as I introduce BUDDY HOLLY AND THE CRICKETS!"

The crowd roars until Buddy, Jerry, Joe B, and Niki all walk out.

The crowd falls silent.

Buddy cautiously walks up to the mic. "Uh, hello y'all, I'm Buddy Holly and these are the Crickets. We're gonna play for y'all, yeah?"

The crowd starts to laugh. Buddy turns bright red and I slowly slip down further into my chair.

Once the laughter dies down, Buddy looks down at me. I try to give him a reassuring smile. "I love you." I mouth.

He nods at me. A silent "I love you too".

"BOY YOU BEST ROCK US DOWN TO THE BONE IF YOU GON' PLAY HERE!" A man shouts from the audience.

"We sure will try," Buddy smiles. He turns to the Crickets. "That'll Be The Day," he whispers.

On cue, they all launch into That'll Be The Day. I feel myself grinning.

The crowd goes wild. They all stand up and start cheering and clapping while the band is playing.

Minnie yanks my arm and I stand up. "Your boy is real talented." She smiles.

After the success of them playing That'll Be The Day, they play Peggy Sue. Followed by Oh Boy!

"Now y'all, I was just gonna ask if it was alright that I play a slower song that I just wrote recently?" Buddy says.