5. Maybe It's An Act And He's Just A Sarcastic Little Shit

At the end of sports, Mr Lawrence tells us about the compulsory swimming carnival that would be on in a few weeks. For the rest of the day, I have a bad feeling in my stomach. There was no way I'd be able to get out of this year's swimming carnival - especially as a senior.

When school is finally over, I change into my KFC uniform and then head to my car. I'm hoping there are no new members because today I do not feel like having to introduce myself to people and learn their names.

I arrive at my destination and park my car. When I'm through the back entrance, I look for Gary, the manager. Gary is about mid-thirties, muscular, and has steel grey eyes. He said he would be here for my first day back, just in case.

When I finally find Gary, blonde hair tucked safely up into his cap, he's talking to someone I've never seen before.

This guy, from what I can see from the back of his head, has red hair. Maybe it's red-brown or maybe it's not even red at all. He looks lean and I can see the muscles in his biceps bulge beneath his shirt. Freckles dot the bridge of boy's nose. He looks kind of in between a bad boy biker and a soccer player. If that's even possible.

I walk over to them and stand so that we're making a triangle. Gary looks down at me and smiles.

"Hey, Martina, you're just on time," Gary smiles, showing off his straight teeth.

"Hey," I reply.

"This, here," Gary gestures towards the boy, who I now see has red-brown hair, "is Edison."

"Hi," says Edison, extending a hand. "Eddie will be fine."

"Eddie. I'm Martina," I shake his rough hand and meet his hazel eyes.

"Nice to meet you," Eddie nods then glances over at Gary.

"I'll leave you guys to it, alright? You know what to do." And just like that, Gary is off, leaving Eddie and me in charge of preparing food.

I chuck on my apron and gloves and Eddie does the same. I make sure to not tie my apron too tight; just the same as I do every other day at work.

"So you've worked at KFC before or no?" I ask, watching as Eddie finishes tying his apron.

I start preparing chips for an order and Eddie comes to stand beside me, preparing chicken nuggets.

"Yeah," he answers, smirking slightly.

"Are you new in town or you been here a while?"

Eddie lifts his head and looks at me, his piercing hazel eyes searching my face. Then my body.

Feeling self-conscious, I wrap my arms around my waist. I watch Eddie's eyes travel back up to meet mine, filled with what looks like sympathy.

"I'm new to town, but I used to work for KFC in my old town. I go to Leanne Reed High. Where do you go?" Eddie continues preparing the nuggets.

"Creekwood," I say. "I'm in grade twelve."

"Same," replies Eddie.

"So, you have any siblings?"

"Yeah. Just an older sister, Jenna, and a younger brother, Raven. What about you?" Eddie finishes his chicken nuggets and starts preparing a drink. Alina, who's up the front serving, comes to collect the nuggets and drink, giving me a wave on her way past.