Chapter 54

Previously

"Mason, who is he?" I whisper and grab his hand

"This Alex, is the person who was supposed to be my dad all those years ago"

Now

My breath hitches in my throat. What do I do? What do I do? Think brain. Think.

"I'm Gabriel Clarke, Mason must've told you about me" Gabriel holds his hand out for me to shake and I hesitantly look at Mason for permission, but he's just glaring straight at his father

"Uh, Alex Smith" I say quietly and shake his hand

"I'm sorry Mason, I should've never left, I'm so sorry" Gabriel tries reaching for Mason, but Mason quickly stops him

"Do not touch me. I don't care if you're sorry, it's too late for that! You are no father of mine. You haven't been since the day you left"

"Please masy boy, can we talk in private please? I want to explain, even though there's nothing that I can say that makes it right, I know that, but please"

"No! I don't need to hear your weak amends of excuses. Just leave and never come back again! You didn't seem to have a problem with that the first time, huh? Just do it again"

I give Mason a squeeze in his hands to make him look at me. I know Mason is daring his father to leave again, but deep inside I know Mason wants him to stay, so Gabriel can show Mason that his father can be a good man, to show Mason that he does love him and that he does care.

"Hey, you have every right to be mad. But don't you at least want to hear what he has to say? You can always leave if you're done with it, but you're going to regret it if you don't try, please, just hear him out" I say carefully, I don't want him to get even angrier

Mason sighs deeply and thinks for a while. He then gives me a small smile and turns to Gabriel.

"Fine, we can talk, but if I'm done with it, I'll be gone and I won't be coming back"

"Yes, of course, thank you" Gabriel's face shows relief and he smiles a bit

Mason turns to me and pushes his lips on mine for a quick second. I smile at him and give him a reassuring nod.

"You can do this, call me if anything happens or if you want me to get you, okay?"

"I will, thank you Lex" he smiles and I give him one last peck on his lips

I say goodbye to them and they walk off to somewhere in the park. I smile at the sight of them and then turn around to walk back home. I hope Mason gets the answers he needs, he deserves them.

While I walk back home, I come across the supermarket. Not being able to resist the ads of chocolate on the window, I walk inside and get a basket.

Walking down different aisles I decide to cook something for when Mason comes back.

I'm already praying that I won't burn the kitchen down.

I grab some ingredients to make burgers and some snacks.

Walking back, I think about Mason and his dad. He kind of looked like the older version of Mason, but a bit different. I hope their talk goes well and he doesn't hurt Mason even more, he doesn't deserve it, he's been through enough.

When I enter my house, Jayden immediately looks over at me and scans the bags.

"What? You chopped Mason up in pieces and now you're going to ask me to bury him with you? Are you nuts?"