Chapter Thirty-Two

The Royal Hunting Lodge

Sophie Reese

I slowly retreated into the background as Christie and Jacques continued to speak. Christie had been unwillingly to stay, but Jacques through patience and persistence had coaxed her into to watching a movie with him in the smaller reception room. They asked me if I wanted to join, but I had turned down the offer. Whatever was happening between them, I wanted it to grow and they could only do that

"Oh no, I'm good thanks. I'm going to stay here and wait for Sally," I replied.

Jacques slipped his arm around Christie's waist and started leading her towards the smaller reception room. At first, she was unsure, glancing over her shoulder at me, but she was soon distracted by his charm. She listened to him intently as he began talking to her about the movie they were going to watch, spinning off facts about the actors and what happened on set. Christie followed him, completely enchanted.

I watched them disappear and found myself smiling. Christie and Jacques... that could work. Christie could be happy with him... unlike Sally, who hated Blood. Poor Sally, how was I going to explain this mess to her? Sinking down into the couch, I drew my knees into my chest and listened to the emptiness of the room. I wondered what would happen to our friendship? Would she still be my friend, or would this tear us apart?

The front door opened and Nico stepped in, dragging Sally behind him. I jumped to my feet, unsure of what to expect. Would she be happy, sad, angry, or worse, indifferent? She yanked her arm out of Nico's grip and spotted me. Her hand rose to her mouth, and her lips whispered my name.

She broke away from Nico and ran to me.

"Sophie, they said you fought a demon! Are you okay?" She asked, running her hands over me.

"I'm fine," I replied.

She smiled, squeezing her eyes shut and pressing her forehead against mine.

"Thank goodness," she breathed, framing my face with her fingers.

There was no anger, no hate or sadness. Just sheer relief.

"I was so worried," she sighed. "I thought Luc might have killed you after the accident. No one would tell me anything, I was so frightened."

"I'm sorry - for everything," I replied tearfully. "I tried to get Casper to break your marriage contract with Blood, but it didn't work."

"Hush, now. Don't fret about that, my dear one. You have been very brave."

"Sally, did you know that Casper was King?"

"Yes, I knew he was King... I thought about telling you the truth, but I didn't know how. Please don't hate me. Ever since you were born, everything I have done has been to keep you safe."