twenty nine • a long night

• • •

As Friday's shift draws to a close, I can see that Navya's totally checked out. Her head's not on the job, her eyes barely skimming the titles of the books she's replacing. In the end, I have to take them off her and put a broom in her hand instead. Her brain doesn't need to be engaged to sweep.

"Hey, you ok?" I ask when I notice she's been sweeping the same square meter of spotless floor for a full minute.

"Hmm? Yeah. Just worried about Gray." She gives me a small shrug and a weak smile. I know she knows everything; Gray explained it all so she'd understand why he's been so put out this week, but I know it's weighing on her mind.

"He's just working through a lot," I say. "He'll be ok, Navya. He just has a lot on his plate that he's trying to cope with."

She nods, her lips pouting in the exact way that I know means she's upset, on the edge of tears. When I offer my arms out for a hug, she accepts without question, letting the broom clatter to the floor. She's so tiny in my arms, short and slight; hugging her is like hugging a child.

"Sorry. I know he's your best friend and your brother and he and I have hardly been together long. I feel selfish, getting upset."

"You're not selfish, you're his girlfriend," I scoff, picking up the broom. "I know how hard it is, seeing him so down, but he's on the come-up."

I really hope so, anyway. The past couple of days, he's been ignoring calls and texts from his mom that I see piling into his cell after another blow-up when she called on Wednesday night. Since then, he's been acting like she doesn't even exist. Almost like before, but there's this undeniable energy in the air. He needs to let off steam, and tonight is the perfect chance for that.

Five hours ago, I had to leave him writing an essay we have due tonight. I gave him all my notes, an arsenal of top resources, and the essay I wrote, but I have no doubt that he could've whipped it out of his ass with no help at all. He probably finished all ten pages in a few hours, with time to edit before the party.

When Liam invited Gray, he accepted without hesitation. He needs this, to put this week behind him. My job is just to make sure he doesn't get too wasted before Navya will be able to sneak out. She's nearly twenty-one. It's ridiculous that she has to sneak anywhere.

"I'm looking forward to tonight," she says, reading my mind. "I'm still not sold on frat boys, but it looks like the one you've found is a decent specimen."

"He's a very decent specimen," I say, crouching to sweep everything on the floor into a dustpan. When I look up, Navya's regarding me with a cocked eyebrow.

"You've examined him a lot, huh?"

I give her my best attempt at a coy smile, but I'm no good at playing along. "To some degree."

"Had him under the microscope, have you?" she asks, and I splutter. I'm not quick enough to come up with a witty retort. "Don't worry," Navya continues, "you know what they say. It's not about the size of the boat but the motion in the ocean." She waves her arms and sways her hips like she's doing a Hawaiian dance.

"God, Navya." I almost drop the pile of dust and debris. "The boat is just fine and the ocean is calm."

"Just waiting for a storm, eh?"

"Navya!"

"You have to tell me everything when the ship comes into dock."

My whole face is hot, though I don't know why. I'm not embarrassed but I wish there was more to say that to sound like an awkward tenth grader when I say that we haven't passed third base yet. We've got close, but there's always some reason not to do it. There's a tiny voice saying Liam doesn't want to go all the way, but I try to smother it.