Chapter 15: Fairy Lights

"A man says a lot of things in summer he doesn't mean in winter." -Patricia Briggs, Dragon Blood

***

"So, what's the game plan?"

Harley and Stark look up from examining Hydra Headquarters.

"Game plan?" Harley asks.

"Yeah, like, what's the plan for attacking and getting Steve out of there?" Bucky rephrases nervously, wondering why they haven't been brainstorming strategies.

"Well, we need to show Fury first," Stark says. "Then I guess you guys can do whatever it is Super Soldiers do and go to the rescue. I'm staying out of it."

"Surprising," Bucky mutters. Stark shoots him a glare.

"This seems to me like a really easy base to penetrate," Harley says, zooming in farther.

"You think so?"

She nods. Maybe I should just go myself. I'll get in, get Steve, and get out. It'll be like picking him up from a slumber party he didn't want to stay overnight for.

Bucky interrupts her thoughts. "I know what you're thinking, and there's no way you're going at this alone."

Harley is barely listening. "Is Steve fireproof?"

"You're not setting Hydra Headquarters on fire with Steve in there."

"I'll bet he is."

"Harley, listen to me!"

She finally tears her gaze away from the screen. "Sorry, what?"

Bucky sighs. "You're not doing this by yourself; it's way too risky."

"Says who?"

"Me." Bucky faintly sees Stark get in the elevator, leaving before their disagreement gets worse. Smart man.

"Bucky, I'm not saying that I would do this alone."

Yes, you are.

"Steve is just as much your friend as he is mine. I wouldn't cheat you out of the opportunity to save him."

Yes, you would.

"Stop disagreeing with me in your head."

"Just promise that you won't go after him without me."

Harley doesn't respond. Letting Bucky come means threatening his safety. She can't imagine what she would do if something happened to him.

"Trouble in paradise?" The elevator doors ding shut and Clint walks in. "I heard you got a location on Rogers. Where is it?"

"Providence, Rhode Island," Bucky tells him.

"That's weird," Clint responds. "There's like, nothing there."

"Except Hydra Headquarters," Harley adds.

"Well, right. Anyway, Natasha will be here momentarily. Me and her are going to have a look at the place and see if we can spot any traps or obstacles," Clint says, clarifying why he's in Stark tower at six thirty in the morning.

"Great, thanks," Bucky says.

Clint nods.

***

"Let's have a look at this thing," Natasha announces as she arrives. Harley pushes the screen over to her, and she and Clint go to work.

Bucky and Harley wait patiently as the assassins scan the building up and down, side to side, in and out.

"I don't see any traps on the outside, but they may be hidden better than we expect," Natasha says.