sixteen

johnny's pov

kenzie falls asleep like this, with our bodies pressed against each other's, and i can't help but smile. she shifted before falling asleep and now shes facing me. her eyes are shut, and she has a look of content plastered against her clear skin. she looks so breathtakingly pretty.

i reach my hand out slowly and brush her hair out of her face with two of my fingers. her eyes snap open; i forgot she was a light sleeper. when she notices it's only me moving her hair, she smiles. "don't be a creep and stare at me while i sleep!" i laugh, i know that she's just joking.

"i cant help it." i play along happily.

"too gorgeous for you to resist?" she says sarcastically.

"undoubtedly." i say, all traces of sarcasm gone. she meets my eyes, and i can feel her chest rising and falling slowly as she takes deep breaths. this makes me smile. do i have that effect on her?

"you look very pretty." i whisper, and i meant it. she blushes and involuntarily leans in just the slightest bit, and that made me realize how close we were to each other. our lips were less than an inch apart.

slowly, i close the gap between our lips, and my eyes close. i kiss her lightly. she kisses me back right away, her hands grabbing my face gently. i slip my hands on her waist. my lips move against hers slowly. she gasps when my tongue enters her mouth. i chuckle at her reaction, and i get a smile in return. all this without breaking our kiss. it feels like bliss, kissing the girl i've been in love with since forever. for the second time.

after a minute, she pulls away, her eyes fluttering open, a slight gap forming between her upper and lower lip in an o of surprise. tracing circles on her back lightly, i smile. this all feels too perfect.

"john, you aren't using me, right?" mackenzie asked softly.

"using... using you?" i mutter, confused and still dazed.

"lauren... she told me that you hook up with a lot of girls. like a lot. all the time." kenzie's voice is going from a soft blissful whisper to a normal tone.

i knew it felt too perfect. something was bound to go wrong.

"i don't.. i mean, i do, but only because-" my terrible explanation is cut off by kenzie.

"john. am i a fling?"

"no. oh my god, no." i say, still slightly confused. "kenzie, i've liked you since we were young. i never got over you, and i guess that led to me being..." my mind wandered to the girls i'd fucked once and then left. what was a good word for that? "...inconsistent. but it's you. i like you. no one else. this isn't a fling."

then i realize i've said too much. she never even said she liked me! what was i thinking? this is gonna ruin our friendship for sure.

then, surprisingly, her face breaks out into a smile. "really?"

"kenzie, im sorry."

"what?" her smile fades. "were you lying?"

"no. i just, didn't mean to mess up our friendship. by telling you how much i lo-" i cut myself short, mentally cursing myself. what the fuck is wrong with me? "-like you. by telling you how much i like you." i repeat.

"why would you be sorry for that?" she asks, her hands gracefully moving from my face to my neck. wherever she touches, i get goosebumps.

"because it's gonna ruin our friendship." i stutter, finding it hard to focus on our conversation and choosing to focus on our closeness and her touch instead.

"but... what if i liked you too?" kenzie offers quietly, and i cant help it, im grinning like a loser now.

"do you?"

"of course. no doubt. i have since forever." she smiles back. we're both smiling out of control, and my heart feels so full and happy that i can't help it, i kiss her again. this beautiful girl who likes me. i cant wrap my head around that. giggling, mackenzie kisses me back, and our legs twine together lazily as our kiss stays light and happy. our bodies and lips move against each other's in perfect unison.

"holy–" i hear lauren say. wait, lauren?! kenzie and i pull away from each other in a jolt as we look up to a gawking lauren.

"i knew my plan would work!" she cries triumphantly. "did you ask her out, john?" i ignore her question.

"why are you here?" i say impatiently. suddenly i realize our bodies are still pressed against one another's, and i awkwardly slide back, attempting to untangle our legs as well. mackenzie shows no interest in this and smirks, not understanding how awkward it is when your sister walks in on you making out with her best friend, and instead wraps our legs together again, her thigh pressing down on mine, and my heart accelerates. she lays her head on my chest, all while lauren is talking.

"wow, thanks, really feeling loved. and fyi, i texted you? you left your keys in my purse so i came to drop them off. and then i thought i'd say hi to kenzie, but she seems... preoccupied. i'll leave you to it." lauren smirks, finally noticing what kenzie was doing as she talked, and drops my keys down on the table and leaves.

"bye laur..." my voice is quiet, and i'm sure i was blushing deeply. kenzie faces me and laughs.

"what?" i demanded, fixing my expressions immediately.

"nothing. you're cute when you're embarrassed." she giggles.

"shut up." i groan. in response to this kenzie sits up on the couch.

"aw, no more?" i frown, keeping my hands on her hips. she giggles and makes me lie down flat and proceeds to sit on top of me.

"nope, i'm not through with you yet." she whispers happily, and my heart starts racing. it's crazy, the effect she has on me. she practically owns me.

she leans down and pecks my lips, then pecks me again and again until it's a full on kiss, both of us smiling and pulling each other close. i could do this all day.

she's perfect, and so is everything about her.

an// it's about time :)
fyi, i have no inspo for writing lately! good thing i have 75% of this book prewritten hahah
+ i <3 barnacle boi okay? okay!
& now off to bed, gn xo.
-ria