Chapter 46: Property

The Next Day

I jumped up out of my sleep in a sweat. I had another bad dream that I was taken again about to get killed. I caught my breath running my hands through my hair. I turned around wiggling Jace's little legs to get him up. We had a funeral to go to. "Wake up honey bun," I said. He rolled over opening his eyes. "'Mama" he spoke. "Hi baby" I smiled picking him up. I looked on the dresser to grab my phone but damn near dropped Jace once I saw a stack on my nightstand. "Oh, shit," I said grabbing it. "It was 10,000" dollars. "Shit," I said to myself shocked. It was nice to go in my savings but realistically it would be gone in a few months. Paying insurance for 4 people, and my other bills on a monthly, not to mention I'm paying for expensive medication that my dad's insurance company wouldn't cover. I was struggling over here. I'm glad Ricky was being generous but the fact that all this happened for him to give me some money bothered me. When I said I wanted a raise I meant I wanted 7,000 every two weeks to increase to at least 9,000 every two weeks. I'm playing his fiancé for crying out loud. I didn't need a stack of money that would just shut me up for a few weeks. I felt my phone vibrate and I picked it up to see that it was Kasey.

"Hey Kasey" I answered. "Wassup Josie" he answered. "Ricky called me to tell you he may not be back in town to get you. Did you want me to get you or?

"I can drive to the funeral" I rolled my eyes. I don't need him to get me did he forget I have my own transportation.

"Okay no problem, I'll see you at 10:30" he said saddened. Capri was close to Kasey they all were hired together by Grant. "See you then" I hung up. I then called Nia's mom to check on Morgan. I placed Jace in the sink washing his body.

"Hey Michelle its Josie," I said. "Hey Josie, wassup" she answered. "How's Morgan? I asked her. "She's having a ball; she doesn't want to leave" she laughed. "She never wants to leave; I should be there around 2 or 3," I said

"Okay honey take your time," she said. Once I finished doing my makeup I pulled down my black dress, another day in black this time a funeral. I placed Jace in his car seat buckling him but he started kicking and getting irritated. "Please don't start crying now" I begged carrying his heavy car seat. "You are getting heavy, I gotta stop feeding you" I said out of breath. I walked to the refrigerator grabbing his bottles. I heard the door open and I quickly turned around to see Ricky. I almost had a heart attack "Scared you? He asked

"Yes," I said holding my heart. "Come on," he said grabbing Jace. I looked at him confused. "I thought you were far out of town? I asked him. "The traffic let up," he said buckling him up. "I could've met you there, it was no problem," I said getting in his car. "You good," he said pulling off. "Why didn't you just text me instead of getting Kasey to call? I asked him.

"I did text you," he said. I looked at my phone to see a message from him

Ricky 9:39 am: On my way

"Oh," I said.

"I don't know why the matters anyway" he looked at me rubbing his chin. I hated when he randomly looked at me.

I broke the eye contact looking outside the window "Thank you for the money" I said

"Least I can do to shut you up," he said. I held my tongue at the statement. It didn't matter because I was working tonight at the club making some more money. I looked over at him driving. "You okay? I asked.

"I'm cool," he said. When we arrived at the funeral we greeted all his family and friends outside. I hated funerals and I felt myself getting emotional. Capri was the coolest guy ever he always had side conversations with me. He was a pleasure to be around and the fact that he died so young hurt my heart. I walked into the church along with Ricky. We walked near the house and to see him embalmed like that had me sick to my stomach. "I'm sorry bro," Ricky said shaking his head. I patted his shoulder looking at him. "Rest in Paradise Capri," I said lightly touching his hand before walking towards the back with Ricky. All of a sudden Capri's mother started crying hard. "They took my baby from me" she cried on Kasey's shoulders. Kasey hugged her trying his best not to cry. My heart broke I couldn't imagine losing my child. This was beginning to be too much. Ricky hunched over placing his hands over his head. I rubbed his back "You okay? I asked him. He lifted back up nodding his head. The choir began singing one of my favorite songs my mother used to sing to me. The Winans - Tomorrow that got me emotional. I sighed wiping the tears from under my eyes. Jace crawled over to Ricky. Ricky picked him up as he laid on him. I smiled watching them, I saw Capri's girlfriend storm out crying. I slowly got up to check on her. I needed a break from in there anyways. Ricky watched me leave. "Hey Nicole" I went outside. She turned around crying on me. "I'm sorry," I said rubbing her back. Once she got herself together I went back in to see Jace sleep on Ricky's chest. It was so precious it always made me feel warm inside. In the midst of me sitting back down the preacher started talking about forgiveness and I was starting to think this sermon was just for me. Both Ricky and I listened attentively.