26

26 | in the end

say you won't let
just say you won't let go

Marco was way too eager to see his best friend

Marco was way too eager to see his best friend. He almost tripped over his own feet as he scurried to Kaylie's room. But opening the door, he found her on her bed wiping away tears with the back of her hands.

"Kaylie!" He hurried over to her, "are you alright?"

Kaylie's face lit up upon seeing him, and she laughed, "Marco! Yeah, I'm fine. Perfectly fine." But it was painfully obvious in her eyes that she wasn't. "Talk to me?" Marco never bothered with beating around the bush when it came to Kaylie. They understood each other too well for that.

The German sighed, eyes falling to her hands. "Did I do the right thing, Marco?"

Marco pulled her into a hug, letting her bury her head into his shoulder. "Kaylie you know I can't tell you the answer to that."

"But I ─"

"Kaylie, there's nothing that you've done that's wrong. All you've done is follow your heart, and I know even now that's exactly what you're doing. So stop blaming yourself and start loving, Kaylie. Start loving like you've never loved before."

He separated himself from her, revealing a small smile on her face. "You always know what to say, Marco," she chuckled. He shrugged, just as the front door opened to the sound of Kevin's familiar voice. They moved outside to greet him.

"Hey, Marco," he nodded at his teammate, "and Kaylie."He walked into the kitchen as Kaylie followed closely. Marco disappeared into the living room to give them the privacy they needed.

"Bought us dinner," he placed the paper bags on the table, shooting her a smile. "You okay?" He noticed what she hoped he wouldn't. Kaylie quickly grinned in return, nodding, "I'm fine."

But Kevin knew better. He was her boyfriend after all. Putting down whatever was in his hands, he leaned closer to her. "You're not," he uttered, cupping her face gently and gazing at her with concern written all over his face.

Kaylie hadn't seen that coming. Or rather she had forgotten what this felt like. How comforting it was to look at Kevin in the eye and tell herself that she loved this man with all her heart. How everything around her seemed to disappear when he was around.

Maybe she did forget how much she loved him. But she could never forget how she felt around him. How safe he made her feel. How his gaze was enough for her to see the love burning in his eyes like a raging wildfire.

And maybe to others it might be intimidating. But she understood him. She understood him enough to know that having him love you was a privilege like no other. And she felt like the luckiest woman alive.

"I'm fine now," Kaylie wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him even closer. He stumbled a little, catching himself by holding onto her waist. When she flashed him a sheepish smile, he found himself unable to hold back the blush creeping onto his cheeks.

Kaylie noticed it almost instantaneously. "Kev, you're blushing!" Her head tilted back as she burst into laughter. She tried to pull herself away, but Kevin refused to let go. "I'm not!" He insisted, despite the pink stain growing evidently.

By entrapping her in his arms, she only began laughing even more. And for awhile the couple were wrapped in each other's embrace, giggling uncontrollably with no seeming end. It was quite a sight.

Kevin eventually cupped her face again as the laughter died.

"You're really something else," his smile screamed adoration. And Kaylie's own smile was no different. "I love you," she whispered. And before he ever so gently connected their lips together, he told her, "I love you too, Kaylie."

+ + +

a little short update before the epilogue [will be up very soon ladies and gents] :") i love you guys ❤️