Chapter 20

“Noble! Wake up.”

            “What is it?”

            “Why are you in my bed?”

            His voice was groggy. “You weren’t feeling well and asked me to stay. Are you okay now? Did you throw up again?”

            “No, I’m fine, but I want to sleep alone now.” Tina sounded nicer than necessary.

            “Are you sure?”

            Jamey strained to hear.

            “I was having the strangest dream about us.”

            “Here are your pants.”

            Tina’s voice was too low to decipher all her words but “negligee” was clear enough.

            “You got that for your birthday and insisted on wearing it to bed.”

            Okay, Tina hadn’t brought back clothing. That was good news.

            Noble said something he couldn’t hear.

            “No, Noble.”

            Jamey stood, ready to run in.

            “I feel ill. I want to sleep alone. But thanks for offering.” She was patronizing him. Jamey had to think that if he’d been the one in the sexy dream with Tina, he might be begging to stay in her bed too. He ducked back into the guest room and waited. Noble’s steps thudded down the back stairs. From the guest room window, Jamey watched Noble cross the lawn and enter his cottage.

            Tina’s bedroom was illuminated by a shell nightlight in the wall, just enough light for Jamey to see Tina sobbing into a pile of tissues. He paused at the door. “Are you sad he left or…?”

            Her nose blowing was abnormally loud for such a little person.

             “No, I’m not sad he left.” 

            He sat beside her on the bed, kissed her shoulder and waited.

            She blew again. “I don’t want to jump into dreams.” She sniffed and patted her wet cheeks. “I’m having a hard enough time with everything. I don’t want a creepy ability, too. And why was Noble sleeping beside me tonight? I have no memory of going to bed with him.” She sniffed and blew again. “Maybe we had sex.” She said the last part in a very tiny whisper. “Probably consensual but I’ll never know if I can’t remember.” She looked at Jamey. “I don’t know which is worse, having sex with Noble and not remembering, or discovering I jumped into his horny dream.”

            Jamey bristled. “Tina, this is serious if you can’t remember if you had sex with Noble, consensual or not.”

            “As serious as dream jumping?” She looked pitiful. “That seems pretty horrible, if you ask me. Oh God, I feel like I’m losing it and there is no way back.”

            Jamey didn’t trust himself to speak. If Noble screwed her without her knowledge or permission…        

            She turned to look into his face. They were only inches away. “Why were you here, anyways? I thought you weren’t invited to the party?”

            Had she forgotten? “I was going to jump your dream tonight.”

            “Oh, I forgot.” She seemed disoriented.