Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

six: Villain Trivia

— Léon —  

Later that night, the breakroom was empty, and their glasses full. Satina tried to balance her hot chocolate mug while she threw her cards on the table. "I take back what I said, Roberto. You're a complete imbecile and a terrible partner!"

Satina growled; as much as he tried, Léon couldn't hold back a laugh.

He raised the card in his hand. "Your answer is wrong. The Mayor started to build New Continent in 2027 after the whole world almost exploded. In 2030 people were still moving here." He chuckled and placed his last card on the table. "You used to work with the man, Roberto. How could you not know something like this?"

Mary squealed and slapped the yellow button on the board to increase her and Léon's score. "Nineteen to Sweetie Peas versus eight to Sad Bears!" She mocked a sad expression.

When they started playing, Léon never imagined Rob would know so little about everything in New Continent. If he had known that, Léon would've given him a history class instead.

Roberto's cheeks flushed. "I forgot it, okay? Blimey. In 27, I was..." He furrowed his brow and counted on his fingers. "Five years old. I had just begun my intensive training for the Heroic League, so don't expect me to remember something like that."

Satina choked on her hot chocolate. "Intensive training? At five?"

"I also learned the basics of history." Roberto massaged his chin. "Like the atomic chaos that left the world in the state it is now and how Atomic Girl sacrificed herself to save us. That sort of thing."

"Well, at least you know the bare minimum," Satina muttered. "That should earn our team a few points."

Mary snatched Satina's fingers and squinted. "No."

"I know way more than my answers let on. That thing is rigged!" Roberto jerked an index finger towards the trivia board. "And I don't see why I'd need to know those things."

Satina clicked her tongue and pulled her hand back. "Well, did you know Atomic Girl's real identity was Josephine Chie Liu? And did you know her trace was actually elasticity, not super strength, as some people say? And did you know she was Iara's protege, which means Iara helped to save the world once?"

"Oh, oh, me!" Mary raised a hand while the other rested on her breastbone. "And did you know little ol' me was the first baby ever born in New Continent? And that my Daddy alone invested a fortune in it?"

Roberto furrowed and raised his eyebrows several times until his face cemented in a blank expression. "I... had no idea."

Satina nodded. "A lot of people invested in New Continent's construction. A fucking continent in the middle of the ocean doesn't build itself, you know. Iara helped with that too. I think Invidia invested around 30% of the total value."

"33%," Léon corrected.

"So she's...." Roberto scoffed. "What? Good?"

"This is an odd adjective for her." Léon pushed a lock of hair behind his ear. "For most people, she's the best thing that happened to New Continent after The Mayor. She's the CEO of a powerful megacorp, has lots of social programs, charities, etc. But you have to remember she's also the leader of a secretive group of villains—and we are the only ones who know what she really is."

"Which is...?"

"A businesswoman," Satina said. She rolled her eyes. "C'mon, man, think. You can't earn money on a destroyed planet, can you?"