Ch. 17

Last nights meeting with Ben was successful and we left the restaurant with the permits sighed. I overnighted them this morning and everything is in place. I feel the stress of this project lessen just a little, but I know there is more to come and this is just the beginning. Alix mentioned expanding the fleet and that's another headache to deal with logistically.

The knock on the door has me getting up to answer it, swinging it wide. "Hello, Mr. Neville. I'm Sam Rivers, Mr. Greco's assistant." I greet, holding the door for him.

He shakes my hand. "Nice to meet you, Miss. Rivers. "

I smile, "Likewise. Call me, Sam." I say, as he comes into the office.

    I watch Lindsay walk back to her desk. Colton Neville is the project engineer on the expansion and is responsible for a good amount of the work, I haven't worked with him but I know he was a key player on a European Port Cairo expanded a few years ago.

    I shut the door and Alix stands up gesturing to one of the chairs in front of his desk. I grab my notepad and pen. Mr. Neville sits in one chair and I sit in the other. Alix doesn't waste anytime debriefing Mr. Neville on the plans. I write down any concerns that come up in conversation and possible solutions as both men brainstorm and make suggestions.

I notice that it's past time for lunch, the guys are lost in planning and are now focusing on how to make the yard more efficient and cost effective. Alix has noticed that the operation, although profitable could be more so with a few changes. He wants to mirror the New York Port's system, and it seems he trusts Mr. Neville's opinions on the subject. After already running it by his father and brother, he's determined to approach the conversion in a strategic way that doesn't effect day to day operations. Shutting down the yard during the most profitable season wouldn't be ideal or worth the lost revenue.

I place my notepad on the table, grabbing my purse before I leave the room. I go to Lindsay's desk to talk to her. I notice she is finishing lunch and I'm jealous.

"Hey, can you order lunch to be brought in? Gotta keep these guys fed." I say, smiling.

"Sure. Anywhere in particular?" She asks.

"Nope, anything will be fine. Take out menus are in your top drawer and petty cash is in under that." I tell her, hurrying to the bathroom.

I go into the stall to change my tampon and recall Alix's reaction after dinner last night.

After we get in the car and head back to the hotel I say, "I started my period." I expect to hear his relief , but instead he looks at me and doesn't say anything. His face unreadable.

"Aren't you glad I didn't agree to marry you?" I tease. What can I say, "I like being right." I admit smugly.

"I see that." He smirks.

"Are you getting me my own room?"

He looks at me a little confused or mischievous?... "Why?" He asks.

I sigh, at his attempt to play dumb. "We have to stop if I'm on my period." I point out. Plus, I could use some time alone. I feel like I'm getting too used to being with him night and day. I need a little break.

"Stop? No. I'll be running that red light." He replies, as his phone vibrates ending the conversation.

I flush the toilet and go wash my hands. I leave the restroom and hurry back to the meeting. I wave at Lindsay as I pass, noticing she's on the phone. She smiles and I open the door quietly entering the office, trying not to disturb the masterminds at work.

I hear dead silence when I walk in. I turn to the men when Alix starts talking again. "We are seeing continued growth in all of our trade lanes, volume alone tells us that we will have a solid first year performance." I hear, as I grab my notepad and pen.

    About 20 mins later Lindsay brings in containers of Chinese food and places them on my desk along with plates, silverware, waters and cokes. I stand up and take the food out of the bags and open them. I make two plates putting a variety of different dishes on each and walk them over, placing them in front of the men. Who thank me absentmindedly and continue their discussion. I bring over waters and sodas, giving them options and go to make my own plate. I sit at my desk to eat, listening in every so often, but knowing I'm not truly needed.

    By 5:30 Alix and Mr. Neville have a solid plan or so it seems. They stand up stretching as I finish answering some emails. Alix forwards me any correspondence that he knows I can reply to just as well as he can. That way he doesn't spend all day answering them or fall behind.

Alix walks back to his computer as Mr. Neville makes his way towards the door. I stand and open it for him, saying goodbye and seeing a tired looking Lindsay still working at her desk. I shut the door and walk over to her.

"You can leave, anytime. We don't expect you to stay later than 5, unless we ask you to." I say, feeling horrible I didn't say anything sooner.

"Oh, I was just finishing up scanning these papers." She replies.

I wince knowing it could wait. " I'm Sorry, I didn't mention it earlier. It slipped my mind. We tend to work late most nights." I explain.

"Its okay. I just didn't want it to seem like I was skipping out." She explains, smiling.

"No, we won't think that. We realize that most the population doesn't work until midnight. For you its 9 to 5 and just take off at that time. We won't think anything of it."

"Sounds good. Thanks."

"So, how what your first day? You caught on really fast. Looks like you got a lot done." I say, looking at the files that have been uploaded into the filing system.

"It was good. Nothing major, I did get a little confused with the schedule program. I was looking for emails to confirm his flight to New York next week, but I couldn't find anything regarding tickets." She says, sounding a little lost.

I almost laugh, "You won't ever find Mr. Greco flying commercial unless he has to. He has a private plane, you don't have to worry about checking him in and confirming flights. He handles that himself."

She nods. "Great, understood."

"Now, go home and get some rest. See you tomorrow." I say, walking back to the office.

I let myself in and see Alix is busy at his computer. "Give me another hour and we'll leave."

My eyebrow lifts, we never leave by 7 p.m. unless we have an appointment somewhere. "Its fine. I have things to finish too."

    I want so baldly to remind him I'm not his surrogate and I'm currently bleeding, but I know it will not be well received. I'm not going to lie. I am still a little frustrated with him. I don't want to be treated differently by him at work. If he wanted to stay until midnight I would do so. Alix thinking about my comfort with late hours has an off-putting feel to it. I want to remind him, work is work and anything that happens outside of the office is something else entirely.