Chapter 22- Curtis' Girl

XANDER'S POV

I look at Curtis, and an idea comes into my mind.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" he looks baffled for a moment. Having decided that I will be doing this without the help of the local police, I thought about finding the perfect "agent" of my own.

"Nothing." I dismissively shrug my shoulders at him. I then ask for some copies of the missing women's pictures for my own records from Diaz. After a few more inquiries, I finally decided to leave, and so did Curtis.

"How's Arianne by the way?" I ask him as soon as we step out of the exit doors of the police station.

"She's okay. Like what I've told you, she's not talking to me because of what I said last night."

"If I were a girl, I'll be insulted too."

He turns to me with a questioning look on his face and continues speaking,

"Wait a minute. This is your second time to ask me about her. I find it weird, you know, because every time you see her, your face is like, Ah, get the fuck out of my face, Bitch." he chuckles at his last sentence and shakes his head with a sigh. "That girl is just...God, I love her."

I choose not to comment. Instead, I just give him a curious sideways glance.

He dismissively waves his hand at me and utters with a slightly flushed face, "Forget what I have said. I was blabbering."

"You have to constantly keep an eye on her too, you know. Girls are missing, and we never know who will be next." I am genuinely concerned.

"Of course I will. Anyway, I've got to go."

"Where are you heading at?" I ask him when he is about to hail a cab.

"At the Maxwells. I have to be with them during these dark times."

My jaw tensed at the thought. I am honestly jealous of him for being closer to Emily's family right now. After a year of dating her, the Maxwells has been like my own family too, and it really sucks when you have let them down.

"I'll give you a ride." I offer. If he will come with me, I'll try to convince him about my plan for tonight.

"But—"

"I'll be dropping you there. Let's go." I flash him a steely look before leading the way to my car which was parked in the corner. I am inwardly relieved when I felt him following me from behind.

We were both quiet when I start driving. The tapping sound of him chatting with someone on his phone seems like a hundredfold louder as I thought about how to open this up to him. Being with him in my car feels kind of awkward as this is my first time to be alone with him. I have always been irritated by his presence because of his friendship with my girl, but for the sake of Emily, I have to be good to him this time. I mean, we're okay, we're civil, but this time, I have to be more friendly.

I am positive that his girlfriend will say Yes to my proposal, but I am not sure if he will approve of this. I just need Arianne to sit in that bar tonight and wait for that suspicious guy who seduces women and lures them out of the club to approach her.

He sighs exasperatedly all in a sudden. He then throws back his head against the headrest with closed eyes.

"You okay?" I ask in curiosity. Maybe he has been arguing with her. Damn, they should fix this out and be okay, because I need him to be the middleman in this, as I can't talk to Arianne all by myself.

"Yeah, I'm okay. I'm just exhausted, you know. I have been worrying about Emily, and I actually haven't able to sleep last night from overthinking."