20. outed

Seb met his mother's eyes. Her stare was hard, like it usually was when she thought he was up to no good. He didn't know if it was because she was actually mad, or if she did it to intimidate him. 

"So, are you going to tell me?" she asked. 

"Just some friends," Seb replied. It was an easy excuse, and simple lies were the best lies, or so he had heard. 

"You're not going anywhere, you're still grounded," she snapped. 

"Tomorrow, Mother. In school."

"You're coming home right after, I don't want you loitering around with those friends of yours," she said with contempt. Seb gasped. He had never heard her speak so openly about what she thought of his new friends. He had been afraid to bring them over to the house since Dylan was covered in tattoos, but this... she hadn't even met Dylan. How could she judge them without knowing them?

"You're being unfair, Marion," his dad interrupted. 

"How so, Patrick?" she bit back. 

"You've never met Seb's friends." 

"Doesn't mean I don't know what kind of types they are."

"Marion, stop!"

Seb took a step back. He had never seen his mother so angry at his dad before. She usually saved it for him, leaving his dad out of it. 

"You don't tell me to stop!" she yelled back. 

"This time I am."

Seb didn't know what to do. They were in his room, so he didn't have an excuse to get out of there. However, he really didn't want to stay. He hated to hear them argue. No matter how silly or stupid his mother was from time to time, it was still painful to hear them shout like that. It was especially bad to hear how his mother yelled at his dad, calling him things that definitely wasn't true. 

"Seb, why don't you go down and prepare lunch," his dad suddenly said, changing his voice completely from mad to calm. 

"Okay," he replied, happy that he could leave them. 

He took a few steps down the stairs, but then he heard something that made him stop. 

"You're being irrational, Marion. What is going on with you?" His dad's voice was a bit muffled, but he could hear it behind the closed door. For a few seconds Seb debated if he should go downstairs and forget that they were arguing, or if he should stay and listen. It was painful, but in one way he would rather know than not know. 

"Nothing is going on. Why are you suddenly so defensive of the boy?" his mother replied. 

"He's your son, Marion. Not the boy."

"I don't see the difference."

"And that's your problem. I can't understand why you treat him so harshly."

"I only want what's best for him, and you know that. We've saved a lot of money for that boy to get into a good University. If you think I will forget that during the last years of his High School, you're mistaken."

"You're not letting our son live his life."

"I'm planning for him to have an excellent life," she replied. 

Seb was glad that they were talking instead of shouting, but that was the only thing that made him happy right now. He hated when his mother brought up how much money they had saved. When she said it like that he always felt bad that he didn't work harder. He knew she wanted the best for him, and perhaps he was unfair towards her. She was trying to make him happy in her own way.

"We can give him the chance of a good life, Marion, but we can't plan for it like that. He has to be able to make his own decisions."

Seb could feel how his shoulders relaxed at his dad's words. That was the only thing he wanted. Freedom to choose. Those words snapped him back to what he really felt, and made him realize that his mother didn't understand. He had no reason to feel bad for not wanting her to rule his life. He was his own person, and whatever he chose for University would affect him for a long time to come. It was his life, his choice. 

"The boy will apply for the schools that we think fitting, but yes, he should also choose. This is his future," she replied. Seb couldn't believe what he was hearing. She usually never folded. He couldn't bring to mind any single time it had happened. 

The day ran smoothly from there. His mother seemed a bit subdued, but she still made him do his chores and read up on school work. After an awkward dinner where both his parents were far too formal towards each other, he called Kaiden. 

He didn't think he would dare to do it, but in the end he just had to hear Kaiden's voice. They talked for hours; something Seb wouldn't have thought possible. Firstly, it was just odd to talk so long on the phone. Secondly, his mother should have come by and said something. As it was, they were left alone, and Seb got to listen to Kaiden's stories about his family, about his sister and their dog. He heard stories of crazy Sunday dinners with cousins and scary uncles. He heard so much that he didn't think he would remember half of it. 

In the end, Seb fell asleep with the phone in his hand, clutching it tight as if it was Kaiden he held on to. 

The following morning, Seb woke up to the sound of his alarm. It was a nasty wail that seemed to remain in the air even after he turned it off. After that it took about three seconds for him to realize what day it was, and what it would bring. Monday. Coming out. 

It was scary as hell. 

He didn't know if he could do it, but on the other hand, his choices were limited. And since he didn't want to make Kaiden sad, there really was only one choice. He would show the world that he wasn't ashamed of Kaiden. 

One hour later, as he took his first steps into school, it seemed like a different place. Not that it was different, no new colors or fragrances, but there was something in the air that just made it different. Perhaps it was the feeling of knowing that nothing would ever be the same after this day. 

He gazed up towards the large staircase. His locker was upstairs, and he had no reason to stand down here where all the others entered. Standing still in that crowd was like begging for attention, and most likely trouble. 

Just as he was about to leave, someone grabbed his hand from behind, grazing the back of it with their thumb. He turned around, and got stuck in Kaiden's eyes. 

People were passing by, shooting curious glances their way, and quite a few stopped. 

"Is this it?" Seb whispered, slightly paralyzed by his treacherous nerves. 

"Yes, I believe it is," Kaiden replied, sure as ever, before leaning down to press their lips together. 

That was all it took for the entire room to erupt in cat calls and general noise. 

Seb smiled against Kaiden's lips. He couldn't believe that they'd done it. Right there in front of everyone. It was like a scene from a bad romance novel, or a bad movie. However, he didn't mind one bit. At that moment, nothing else mattered than the feel of Kaiden's lips against his own, and those safe arms around him.