Chapter 17 - The Unplanned Incident

"Hey, uncle. I've realized that you've done so much for me, so it's only right for me to help you out. I sincerely apologize for being disloyal," Eli told Xavier over the phone.

"What are you saying, my boy?" Xavier exhaled.

Eli looked at me through the rearview mirror, "I've knocked out Valerie, she's sat in my car and I'm coming to deliver her to you now."

Xavier sighed, "What is that going to do? Andrea wants Nathaniel, not his daughter."

"You know just as well as I do that Nathaniel would burn the world if it means he finds his daughter and keeps her safe. This time, you won't be taken off of guard, you will keep Valerie with you at all times and wait for her father to plead for her freedom."

"You know what? That doesn't sound so bad, let me just ask Andrea to make sure she agrees."

I rolled my eyes, the poor man was whipped like a lost puppy.

Andrea was put onto the phone, "Listen here, Elijah. If this is another prank of yours, I swear to god that I will blow Valerie's brains out in front of you. Got it?"

Eli nodded, but then realized Andrea couldn't see him, "I understand. I promise that this is not another prank."

The call ended.

Eli turned to us, smirking, "It's not a prank, it's an ingenious betrayal."

I rolled my eyes, "Eyes on the road, bucko."

Eli sent me a playful glare through the rearview mirror.

I stuck my tongue out at him, but silently prayed that my plan would work.

"I ship it," Riley whispered.

I playfully shoved her, when I told her we were dating she would be even happier than I was.

"I've been trying to come up with a ship name. So far all I've got are Valijah, Veli and Valeli."

I laughed, "Those all sound like diseases."

"Exactly! That's because your love is contagious towards one another. It makes me sick just looking at how mushy and gushy you guys are."

Why was everyone around me a master of puns?

We had been driving for thirty minutes and it was almost time to begin putting my plan into action. My plan relied heavily on timing and one truckload of luck.

"I feel like we're the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, out on a mission to save the lives of our forefathers," Riley randomly blurted out.

"Are you calling us green?" Eli laughed, "I mean, yeah Val here does look quite green because of all the avocados she's consumed, but the rest of us? Not so much."

I flipped Eli off.

"Val, don't stick up your middle finger," Dad scolded, "I've taught you better."

I folded my arms, "But he's being a prick."

Dad shook his head, "Nah, he's right. I think if you ate anymore, you'd turn into Shrek."

Eli raised his hand up and Dad gave him a high-five.

If this was how my boyfriend planned to bond with my father, I wanted to drown. Xavier? You there? Okay no, just kidding. I want to live.

The rest of the ride consisted of Riley, Eli and Dad insulting me. Oh, what fun.

Eli stopped the car the same place he had done the last time he and I had been here.