Chapter 34: Ready for It

Baby, let the games begin
Let the games begin
Let the games begin

Friday. My favourite day of the week. The last working day of the week and the next day will be my time for myself. I never appreciate Friday more than I did today. This is my second to the last day of stay in Wake Forest. I am finally coming home to Manhattan on Sunday and I swear to myself that I am never coming back to this place. Ever again.

After my another awkward interaction with Harry yesterday, where I shared a beer with him and a kiss, I hated this place even more and I also hated myself for responding to that kiss even for a second. He may became even more gorgeous and even more irresistible now that he got older but it doesn't change what he did to me. And one single kiss will not and should not clouds my judgement about him. Regardless on how great the kiss was.

Harry is asking for another chance. A chance of getting back together. A chance of going back to how we were. After that kiss that caught me off guard I didn't have the courage to answer and yet I thought I was brave and strong enough. So just what I did the last time I ran away from him. Not that I was going to think of giving him another chance but having him around suffocates me.

Like the usual, I didn't sleep much last night. I was awake ever since the clock buzzed at 6 o'clock. After an hour of going back and forth of my thoughts I finally decided to get out of the bed and start the day. After taking a quick shower I dressed into a pair of skinny jeans and short sleeves yellow cropped top. I am not sure what the plan is today but my mother might have anything in mind.

Once I was done putting on some light make up I made my way downstairs. Tom is not in the kitchen but the coffee machine is turned on. Walking to the cup board for a cup of coffee I heard my mother talking to someone at the front porch.

"I didn't know you came back," my mother said in a weak voice.

"I never thought I was coming back either,"

Stopping from filling my mug with coffee, my knees turned jelly as I heard the familiar voice of who my mom was talking to.

What is Harry doing here talking to my mother? My heart started to pound as the thought of Harry telling my mother what happened to us in high school terrifies me. If my mom found out on why I really left this town, she will be heartbroken and it will be an embarrassment on my part. A huge one.

Not waiting for my cup to fill up entirely, I rushed to the door.

"Mom," I squeaked.

My mom and Harry automatically turned to my direction. He gave me an automatic smile while my mom's face washes with worry.

"Taylor," mom calls out. "D-do you remember Harold?" She asks.

Swallowing the lump on my throat, I gave my mom a slight nod.

"What are you doing here?" I turned to Harry.

He smiled at me wildly, "Just wanna check on you, can we speak?" He asks.

My mother's eyes are still filled with worry, so I smiled at her and turned my eyes on Harry giving her a slight nod.

"I'll be right back mom," I tell her and walked pass them towards the road.

Harry then followed.

I continue to walk through the road until Harry catches up on me.

"Sorry for going to your house, I know your mother isn't very happy to see me," he said in low but raspy voice. "I didn't mean to make an awkward scene," he added.

Taking a deep breath I shook my head. "My mom doesn't know what happened in high school," I said in between subtle greeted teeth.

Harry held on to my arm stopping me from walking. "You didn't tell her?"

His eyes were on me, my heart is beating so fast, it seems it is on my fire while my eyes are getting wet. The memory from high school are still fresh on my head. And having him around made me remember every single details of what happened.

I blink my almost tears away.

"There is nothing to tell," I said meeting his blue eyes.

He put his arms on both of my shoulders. "I know you said you don't remember anything about the bet," he said and I bit my lower lip hard to stop myself from crying. I am never going to cry in front of him. Never will I show him how much he crushed me. Not then and definitely not now. "And you may seem different now, like you are surrounded with these huge walls that are so hard to break." So he noticed that I've changed. Good. "And I may have apologised about it but I know it will not going to change anything." He says.

Not understanding what the hell he means I took his hands off of me. "What do you want Harry?" I finally asked.

He seemed to be caught off guard though I am not sure if it was because of what I said or what I did.

"I want us again," he mumbled after a while putting emphasis on the word 'us'.

Smiling at him weakly, "For what?" I can't believe he has the guts to even tell me that after all the pain he cause me.

"You may not believe me, or you may think I am lying which I cannot blame you for but I wanna take this chance, I wanna be with you, make everything right again, I wanna show you how much I regret for stopping in looking for you, I wanna hold you in my fucking arms again, just like how I held you before." Tears are forming in the corner of his eyes which made me start to believe that he is sincere but I told myself not to.

"Swift I never regret that fucking bet because that damn bet made me know you, made me fall in love with you," he says meeting my eyes. "Will you give me another chance? Let's make it work again, Please?"

Taking a deep sighed. I looked at him. "I live in New York," that's all I was able to say.

"It's fine, I can go to New York to see you," he says with conviction.

Suddenly, I didn't know how to respond anymore. One thing that didn't change about Harry is him being very persistent. But I shouldn't let myself be carried away with his words. He put me through hell when he played with me. I was in so much pain and misery that I already thought of giving up.

He puts his hands on my neck pulling me closer to him. I immediately felt goosebumps all over my body. My knees weakened. His face is close to mine that I can feel his breath on my face.

"Please Swift, just one chance." He pleads.

Biting my lips I gave Harry a slight nod and then closed my eyes as his lips crashes into mine.

He may have played me seven years ago but I am different now. I am stronger. I am braver and definitely wiser. It's my turn to play the game. Question is, is he ready for it?