Chapter 52 - Chocolate

I kissed him back and eventually we fell into the snow until Connor and I eventually pulled ourselves apart. Connor was on top of me, while I laid there.

"You taste like honey," He said softly.

"And you taste like...chocolate?" I questioned. Connor looked confused for a moment.

"Oh. Yes. There's a vending machine in the hospital. I ate a lot...a lot...of chocolate. Here," He said, reaching into his pocket. "Try some."

He pulled out a small chocolate bar, and broke off a piece and placed it in between my teeth. The taste was overwhelmingly sweet, but with a hidden sense of bitterness. I...hate it.

"I think I prefer tea," I explained. He looked confused.

"You don't like it?"

"It's...too sweet. And bitter."

"You don't like chocolate?" He asked.

"No. I just don't."

"Here. Try it again," He said, taking out the bar.

"No. I don't want to. I already did."

"Just humor me."

"Connor, no," I said, giggling and rolling out from underneath him. "I think I'll have enough of it every time I kiss you."

He smiled at that response. "So...this will be an on going thing?"

"Obviously," I answered.

"Perfect," He said, happily. He rolled onto his back so that he was in the snow.

I stood up and brushed myself off. "Here. C'mon," I said outstretching my arm. I helped Connor up...but I have absolutely forgotten about my lack of balance, so I immediately fell backwards into the snow. Connor looked at me.

"Wow," He said. He outstretched his arm and helped me up.

"Thank you," I answered. I yawned.

I yawned?

I yawned?

"Did you forget about the whole rest thing?" Connor asked.

"Oh," I said softly.

"C'mon. Let's get you back to the hospital. You can sleep tonight."

"Sleep?" I asked.

"I know. Crazy, right? Just close your eyes and pretend you're sleeping...and then you will."

"Humans are strange," I said softly.

I yawned again.

"C'mon. Let's hurry," He said, grabbing my arm to give me balance and taking me back to the hospital room.

I laid down in the hospital bed, closed my eyes, and pretended to sleep.

~

When I woke up, it was exactly 4 hours later.

"Connor. My chronometer is telling me that it's 6am. Is that correct?" I asked.

"Yes," He responded.

"I think I need to go see Markus, don't I?"

"Yes," he answered again. I began to climb out of bed, and I did so with perfect balance.

"Have you got yourself?" Connor asked.

"Yes."

"Okay...can you walk?" He asked kindly. I took a step, and then another.

"I think so, but...stay near me," I ordered him.

"Of course. Here, let me show you to where Markus is, okay?"

"Yeah."

Connor walked barely in front of me, leading me down the hall of the hospital. Instead of turning right to go to the surface, we turned left to head through the door. In front of me were several flights of stairs leading down. When we finally got to the bottom, there was another door. Connor slowly opened the door, and I was glad he did. In front of me was an entire underground city similar to the surface, but instead of storage containers, stores were made out of wood and canopies. I was shocked, needless to say.

"This is The Basement," Connor explained.

This entire room was massive, and it appeared to be a central hub. Down the hallway we just came from was the hospital, but there were 4 other wings. On the walls of this hub there were rooms, stacked on top one one another.

"Each of these hallways leads to a different section of The Basement. The first to your left are the living quarters. Enough space for 50,000 people. The second to the left are the servers, storage, and various offices. The first to the right are more living quarters, again with space for 50,000 people. The second to the right are where the resources are. Power. Treasury. Water. Things like that. We're going down that middle hallway though, to Administration." Connor led me through the crowd of shoppers to the hallway.

"Here at Administration...there's a lot going on. I'll let Markus explain it to you. He's up these stairs," Connor explained. He led me up a set of metal stairs, and down the new hallway. We finally arrived at the end, and Connor knocked on the door.

"Come in!" Markus yelled from inside.

Connor opened the door, and we walked into Markus's office. I looked around.

It's beautiful.

~

Hey guys! I made a few new covers for the book. Do you guys like any of them more than the current one? Or would you guys prefer the current one? (I personally have a favorite...) Let me know!

-Andrea Elk