Chapter 27

Austin choked on his spit.
"You're what?"
"I'm pregnant." Tears began to form in my eyes. I was scared. Scared of being a mom. Scared of his reaction. Scared of him leaving me to do this alone.
He stood slowly and began walking towards me. I wrapped my arms around myself, vulnerable. I dropped my head to stare at my shoes.
"Anna, baby, look at me."
I shook my head, a tear escaping.
"Baby," he whispered, standing right in front of me.
I still refused to look up. Austin got on his knees and pressed his forehead into my belly.
"We're having a baby," he whispered. "There's a baby in here, Anna."
I nodded, still refusing to speak. Tears were now streaming down my face.
I heard him sigh.
"Please don't leave me. Not alone. Not with this," I whispered. His head jerked up and he began to stand.
"Leave you?" He asked. "Why on earth would I leave you?"
"If this is too much, you might. If you don't want a child with me, you might."
"Anna, I've dreamed about this since the moment I met you. Having a child at all is a blessing, but having a child with you; that's a miracle."
My hand flew over my mouth as sobs wracked my body.
"Shh, baby," he cooed. "It's okay."
"I'm scared."
"I know," he whispered. "But I've got you. Okay? We can do this. It's not like money is an issue."
I nodded. "You're right." I took a deep breath. "Okay, we can do this. I can do this."
He smiled. "You are going to make a magnificent mother Anna."
"You're gonna be a pretty good dad yourself," I smiled.
"Dad," he repeated. He got back on his knees and held my waist in his hands. I pulled my shirt over my belly. His hand then pressed into my belly. "I'm gonna be a dad."
He pressed his lips to my stomach, laughing. He stood abruptly and wrapped me tightly in his arms. I laughed as he twirled me around.
He set me down and grabbed my face between his two giant hands. "I love you."
I smiled brightly up at him. "I love you."
Then, he kissed me.
*****
A couple hours later, I was home, on the couch, with a tub of ice cream in my lap.
Austin was still at the office because something came up.
My phone rang and I answered without checking the ID.
"Hello?" I answered.
"Hey, Anna! It's Bryce."
"Uh, hey Bryce."
"Sorry, I know it's random. But I was really hoping for another date."
"What?" I asked.
At just that moment, Austin walked in.
"A date, you know. I thought the one we had a month ago was great but you never answered my messages or phone calls."
"I, uh, yeah. I'm sorry about that. I've just been busy."
Austin sat next to me on the couch and grabbed my tub of ice cream, shoving a big bite into his mouth. I lightly laughed at him.
"What are you laughing at?" Bryce asked in my ear.
"Uh, nothing. Look, I had a nice time with you that night and you're a great guy but I just don't think we would work out."
Austin turned toward me, eyebrow raised.
"Well I disagree and I think you should give me the chance to prove it."
"I don't think that's a good idea, Bryce."
I emphasized his name so that Austin would figure it out. Recognition flashed across his face and he began reaching for my phone.
"Bryce, I've got to go, okay? I'm sorry but I don't think that second date will-"
Austin snatched the phone away from me.
"Hello Bryce, my name is Austin Carter. Yes, the Austin Carter of C&C editing. Anna is no longer interested in you. How do I know? Oh, well, maybe because she's mine. Yep, I'm her boyfriend. Oh, also, she's pregnant with my child."
My jaw dropped. He did not just tell Bryce that.
I got off the couch and began pacing. I could feel Austin's eyes following me.
"Yes, that would be greatly appreciated. Uh-huh, thanks. Goodbye." He hung up and I laid into him.
"What the hell?!"
"What?" He asked.
"You told him I was pregnant! What are you thinking?"
"Well you are."
"That doesn't mean I want the whole world to know."
"Why?" He asked. "Are you ashamed of me?"
"Ashamed if you? Hell no. I just don't want everyone knowing that kind of thing yet, okay?"
"I'm sorry," he whispered. "I'm just an insanely jealous person."
I began to cry, thinking about my fathers words.
"Slut."
"You'll be pregnant before you finish high school."
My inner conscious laughed sarcastically. Maybe not high school but college, yep.
Austin stood. "Anna, I'm so sorry. Please don't cry."
"He was right."
"Who?"
I sunk to the floor and pulled my knees to my chest. "My father."
He knelt in front of me. "What are you talking about Anna?"
I shook my head, sobs racking my body.
"Baby, let me help you. Tell me something."
I nodded. I began telling him everything. Everything my dad said to me. My dreams.
When I was finally through, he just held me.
"So that's what your scar is from?" He asked.
"Yes."
I felt him shake with rage.
I held him tighter and sobbed. He held me until I fell asleep.