Chapter 37

''What are you doing?'' Isabella peeked inside Sergio's room.

''Packing my stuff.'' His eyes darted over to her. ''And you should too.''

With Leone gone, the Donati family could safely return to their own home. The thought of leaving left Isabella's shoulders slumped and a few more sighs than usual. She would miss being around Giovanni and his family.

''I should get to it then,'' she murmured and went to her bedroom, grabbed the suitcase in the corner and packed everything up.

''What are you doing?'' Giovanni asked as saw Isabella looking around the room.

''Making sure I don't leave anything precious behind.''

''I see you're ready to leave.'' He looked at the suitcase. ''Good.''

Ouch.

''You're going with me,'' he said as if the decision was set in stone.

Confusion was written all over Isabella's face. ''I'm going with you?''

''Sì.''

''Where?''

''My apartment. We're going to get married anyway.'' Giovanni came forward and pulled her suitcase to his side. ''I'll get this downstairs. You can double-check the room if there really is anything you forgot.''

Isabella watched him leave, too stunned to do anything else. Everything was drawing at a blank for a few seconds and then her thoughts raced through her mind.

Is he serious? Is he really serious? He never said anything about marriage and now he just brings it up as if he's talking about the weather. He didn't even ask if I wanted to marry him!

She sank onto the edge of the bed and stared at the door.

''I need to talk him,'' she said just as Giovanni re-entered the room.

''Are you talking to yourself?''

Rosy cheeks decorated Isabella's cheeks. ''Giovanni-''

''Give me your hand.''

She held her hand out, allowing Giovanni to slide a white gold ring on her ring finger. He pulled her up so she was standing upright and kissed her softly on the lips.

''You never asked if I want to.''

''I can take a good on guess on what your answer will be.''

She opened her mouth to protest but her voice got stuck in her throat. They both knew what her answer was.

He cupped her face and added, ''Besides, that beautiful smile tells everything I need to know.''

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

''Care to explain?'' Donatella seized hold of her daughter's hand to take a closer look at the ring.

''I'm engaged to him.'' She bit her lip.

''And when did you plan on telling me? Did you want to hide it?''

''Mamma, you know I tell you everything. It actually just happened – this morning.''

''I know, Tesoro.'' Donatella wrapped her arms around Isabella, holding her tightly. ''Do you love him?''

(Treasure)

She nodded shyly, a small smile pulling on her lips. There was no question about it; she didn't need to ponder over the answer.

''Then I won't stop you. That's all that matters.''