Chapter 25

Eva

The cold wind straddled through the thin material of my jacket. I could feel goosebumps rising on the surface of my skin, but somehow it felt relaxing.

My friends were chattering on either side of me and I had been in so much of a daze, that I hadn't picked up anything they were saying. "Eva!" One of them exclaimed, making me spin my head towards her. "What do you think?"

"Think about what?" I obliviously answered with my eyebrows furrowed.

A look of annoyance spread across her face as she huffed. "You weren't listening."

"Sorry..." I said sheepishly, feeling bad that she had been rambling on with no purpose.

"She asked you whether you'd be able to let us both sleep at your house next week." My other friend interjected with a hopeful voice.

Dread filled my stomach. My friends had been asking me the same thing for months. I kept making excuses and brushing the subject away, because I didn't want anyone to know what went on in my house. I didn't want any of my friends to know what I had to go through.

"I'll have to ask my Mum." I told them with my eyes cowering down, unable to meet their questioning gazes. The pavement seemed like the most comfortable place for my focus to be.

Fortunately my friends just nodded and changed the subject, talking about school and the gossip that was circling around, whereas my head was completely elsewhere. I wondered about what excuse I hadn't used yet, praying they'd somehow believe my lies once again.

These days, I felt as though I always had to lie.

As we were walking, rain began to slowly pour down, making my two friends groan and gesture for me to follow them as they raced down the street towards their houses. The rain swiftly got faster and harder, drenching us as we moved.

"Come! Stay at mine until the rain stops." One of them panted, standing at her porch and looking at us. My other friend gladly ran into the shelter but I thought otherwise.

"I'll be okay," I shook my head, shivering but still resisting the invite. "I'll see you guys tomorrow!"

They looked puzzled but I still continued to run down the street towards my house. The rain was pelting down and somehow I felt calm. Though my hair and uniform were soaked, I felt like the rain was cooling my worries down. Giving me some relaxation after the tension I had to face.

Either way I was shivering and my mother's protective voice echoed through my head, demanding I come home and get out of the rain before I get sick.

So I ran and ran, before I eventually came to my house.

Not hesitating, I rushed through the door, which was open, and panted heavily, closing the door before the water could seep into the house.

Silence hung over the whole house. This was something that shocked me because usually shouting would bellow through the walls and instantly welcome me home. My eyebrows furrowed and I cautiously looked into the kitchen, seeing nothing but what usually lay there, like cutlery and shelves of different seasonings.

"Mum?" I called through the house. No response.

I walked through the landing and came closer to the living-room. That's when a metallic scent penetrated my nostrils, instantly making me feel sick. I had to resist the urge to gag as I held my nose.

It was an unfamiliar scent but it was disgusting.

My footsteps were slow as I got closer to the living-room. "Mum?" I spoke quietly, beginning to get slightly panicked.