XIV. Sonic the Hedgehog

I went into Tails' room, sitting on a chair next to him. I leaned forward and watched him, my heart twinging. Out of everyone to blow up, it had to chose Tails with his back turned. After the day I had had, I wanted to tell everyone to back off and do all the fighting on my own. 

I sighed, knowing I needed their help. It hurt, though, looking at Tails. He was wrapped in a blanket, covering the burns that plagued his body. I didn't know if they caused him pain yet, but healing from them would be agonizing. He was tough, though, right...?

I put my face in my hands, feeling guilty that I couldn't stay with him or even do anything for him. Revenge on Eggman wouldn't make him feel better, but my rage grew every day. When it came down to it, I wasn't sure I would be able to show him any mercy. Almost ending my life was one thing - trying to kill Sally publicly and ordering the self destruct on Tails was too much. Each time we fought with him, he got more and more savage. He was going to be in a cell for the rest of his life, and we would make sure there was no way for him to sneak out this time.

I stood up, smiling sadly at Tails. "I'll make sure Eggman never does this to anyone else. I'm sorry I couldn't protect you..."

After a few more minutes of watching him, I left, going to Sally's room. Her eyes were closed and she was curled up on the side of the bed. I laid across from her, watching her face as she slept. It made me remember the fear in her eyes as Metal Sonic held her in front of the town, battered and humiliated.

Her eyes slowly opened, barely able to stay awake. She looked exhausted. "How is he?" she asked, her voice thick with sleep.

"Still knocked out," I answered. "What about you?"

She didn't look at my face for a few moments, her eyes focused on something else. She turned onto her back and touched her arm unconsciously. "I'll be fine," she finally said. "I'll get over it."

"I wasn't fast enough," I chuckled. "I haven't been in a while."

"I shouldn't have gone with you with my injury," she said.

"Someone has to keep me in line," I smiled.

She smirked back. "Don't pretend you do what I tell you to."

"I do if I like it."

She shook her head, then turned and put her back against me. I put my arm around her, holding her close to me. "I won't let anything else get to you," I promised.

She put her hand over mine, falling silent. The lights shut off, though I was hesitant to sleep. I was tired after two big fights in one day, but the last two times I had tried to sleep I had nightmares. I wasn't excited to recall that memory again.

But I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer.

And I had a much different kind of dream.

I stood in front of a familiar place: I was standing in front of the altar to the Master Emerald from centuries ago. It was teeming with life, grass growing wildly all around. I had been here before, when we were trying to stop Eggman from using Chaos to take over the world. I had to resort to using the Chaos Emeralds, trapping Chaos back inside the Master Emerald.

I smiled and walked forward, a chao coming up to me and raising its arms. I picked it up and it rubbed its head against my chest, several more flocking to me. Everything was so real that I didn't know I was in a dream. I felt good; nothing negative crossed my mind, even though I tried to think back and remember how I got where I was. It was confusing, but something in me told me to enjoy it, let the relaxing serenity wash over me.

A figure appeared at the top of the altar, walking down the steps toward me. I recognized her immediately; that, and I only knew of two echidnas. "Tikal," I muttered.