fourteen

They didn't need to drive very far to reach the warehouse, but that didn't ease their nerves.

They were on the run now. And Victoria could only wait until her mother heard about this one. Pietro crossed her mind, and she had to swallow the lump in her throat. It was like a routine with them. Were they really good for each other, or were they toxic?

Shaking the thought out of her mind, she turned to Steve for a distraction. "So, how's your love life?"

Steve looked at her, exasperated, as he hauled Bucky out of the car. "We're on the run from the law, and we have an unconscious death soldier who is out for blood with us, and you decide that now is a good time to ask about my love life?"

"We're at a safehouse," she gestured to the building. "Aren't we?"

"Safe for how long is the question."

They entered the building and Steve sat Bucky down on a workbench. He lifted up the arm of the vice and clamped Bucky's metallic arm under it. Victoria cringed as it stuck, and followed Steve back to the door. Sam walked inside and stood by their Captain.

"Won't that hurt him?"

"It's a metal arm, Vic. He'll be fine." Steve grunted as he shut the doors, leaving a small gap open. He huffed and dusted off his hands. "Sam, you keep watch over Bucky for now. Let me know when he wakes up."

"On it."

Sam ran off and Victoria sent a small smile to Steve. "And my job?"

"Keep me company."

She sat down on the ground while Steve peered out of the gap. Helicopters could be heard in the distance and Victoria frowned. She took out her phone and looked at the broken screen. "Guess I'll have to get a new phone, again."

Steve said nothing. She was able to unlock her phone and spotted about twenty missed calls from Pietro. She also noticed a message from her dad to call him. She made a mental note of it and set the phone down next to her.

"Not gonna call loverboy back?"

"I'm kinda mad at him," she shrugged. "I'll get back to him sometime."

"You're both still kids, you know. Don't let one silly fight ruin what could be."

"When did you become a love doctor, Steve?"

"I'm not," he smiled.

"Besides, it's not just one silly fight. There's been a few already. I just don't know if we can handle another one."

"You love each other more than anything. You're strong, you'll be okay."

Victoria watched the soldier pull out his phone and check his messages. He frowned and put the phone back in his pocket, peering out of the gap again. She smirked.

"Not gonna call your lovergirl back? Or boy. Whatever you're into." She stood up and he sent her a small smile. "You know, you never answered my question."

"About my love life?" Victoria nodded and Steve shrugged. "I don't know if it would classify as a love life. Besides, with everything going on it's not the best time."